What to do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic   

Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  16:14:58  
Over the past year (almost) I purchased a new Premium Responsive ECT template and filled in all the blanks, etc. There isn't alot of clutter on the site, but I like it that way. Although it does seem a bit too plain. I think it makes it easier to navigate, faster to load and Google seems to like it much better than my last one, as it is very mobile friendly and Google seems to navigate toward anything mobile these days.

Business is much better with the new website. However my bounce rate is still high, and I cant figure out why. I advertise for just a few specific items (adwords). These items are the best quality on the market and the lowest price (verifiably). However most people just read and move on without any interaction.

If anyone has a few extra minutes, please take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.usafleetsupply.com

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
8802 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  18:37:20  
I took a look at the site for a moment, and my initial thought is it looks professional. That's important in my book.
Customers should not be able to tell if you are a very small, or very large company by looking at your website, although it does happen.
I think there is a bit too much white.
If I were to recommend any changes, it would be to add some color here and there.

The thing I wanted to ask about, it this bounce rate overall for all traffic, or have you checked the bounce rate on organic (non-paid) traffic versus paid traffic.
Paid traffic is always going to be a high bounce rate. It's just the nature of the beast.
Organic traffic should be a much lower number.

You should also take note of the bounce rate for desktop versus mobile users. Compare that to data from before you changed the site to see if you have lowered the bounce rate for mobile users.

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  14:37:29  
Thanks dbdave! I agree with you, a little color couldn't hurt.

My mobile bounce rate is approx 85%. My desktop bounce rate is approx 57%. It is just frustrating to watch visitors on my site via GWM Real-Time. I watch them land, move around, then away they go...depressing. I've checked numerous competitors prices, performed speed checks, and so on. Everything seems ok with my products and with my website. I know it is just "par for the course" but I would really love to know what each user is thinking when they decide to leave without any interaction.

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  15:30:40  
You have the menu button "Products" linked to all products, you can barely see the + sign on the right of the menu in mobile view so the natural thing to do is click on Products which briefly opens the expanded menu but soon after that the page loads for all products, could be frustrating for customers trying to navigate. I would remove the links on the main menu buttons, they just want to open the menu and find what they need.

I would also suggest enlarging the font size in mobile view and definitely need larger images, some are so small I can't make them out at all.

You need to pull up your site on your phone and try to act like a customer ....

Mark

Mark
Responsive Design Deals Ecomm Plus - ASP 6.8
www.paradiseclothingco.com

Edited by - Paradise on 01/16/2019 15:31:43

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  16:08:10  
Thanks Mark!

To be honest I really don't pay as much attention as I should to the mobile version. Pertaining to the Products drop down, do you suggest removing the dynamic drop down menu from the top bar? or am I reading that wrong..?

I agree with the larger image suggestion. I had someone suggest that a while back. The problem is, I currently have 9300+ products in my database. I suppose I can download all the images, select the Large images and reduce the size a bit, then use those for the product.asp pages. However I am unsure of the easiest way to go about doing that. I really don't want to reduce each image one by one. Are you aware of any free online image reducing products, or similar?

Also, is there a way to enlarge the font just for the mobile version?

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  16:19:39  
If you take a look at your menu, remove the link in red.

<!-- 2 links, no drop downs -->
<li class="headi"><a href="default.asp">Home</a></li>
<li class="headi"><a href="search.asp">SEARCH</a></li>
<!-- first mega menu display - 4 columns -->
<li class="headi"><a href="products.asp">Products</a>
<ul>
<li class="headi"><a href="products.asp"><i class='w3-margin-right fa fa-chevron-circle-right'></i>   All Products</a>
<ul class="headu">
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=CDL+Training+DVD+Videos">CDL DVD Videos</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=CDL+Training+Software">CDL Software</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Air+Brakes">Air Barkes</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=CDL+Study+Books">CDL Study Books</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Driver+Training+Products">Truck Driver Training</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Hours+of+Service">Hours of Service</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Cargo+Control+Training">Cargo Control Training</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Forklift+Operator">Forklift Training</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Logbooks">Driver Logbooks</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Logbook+Accessories">Logbook Accessories</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Canadian+Logbooks">Canadian Logbooks</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Bus+Driver+Logbooks">Bus Driver Logbooks</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Truck+Decals+%26+Markings">Truck Safety Markings</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Hazardous+Decals">Truck Hazardous Markings</a></li>
<li><a href="products.asp?cat=Numbers+and+Letters">Truck Numbers Letters</a></li>
</ul>

Mark

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  16:20:47  
You can control the image sizing with CSS.

Mark

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  16:26:19  
You can control the font size in the CSS for any of the Break Points.

You should learn how to use the Developer Tools in Chrome or FireFox, you will see how the site looks in all different screen sizes and correct the issues in the css in realtime, once you have the correct css settings you can then upload to the site's css.

It's a Huge Time Saver. https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/

Mark

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  16:44:40  
Thanks Mark, I'll remove the link per your suggestion and see how it goes.

So, I can enlarge all of my small images via css? Any details you can provide about that would be greatly appreciated. That would be a tremendous help.

The Developer tools in Chrome and FireFox seem a little above my pay-grade but I am more than willing to learn. I'll check out the link, thanks for that info.

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  17:11:40  
You canít enlarge the small images, but once you changed them to large images you control the max size of the images via CSS.

Mark

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  05:34:39  
Mark,

When I remove the text that you highlighted in your previous post, the </a> turns yellow and a message pops up stating "the <a/> tag is marked invalid because its a mismatched end tag".

Is this ok, or is there something else I should edit in this line?

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  06:41:14  
You would also need to remove the </a> closing tag

<li class="headi"><a href="products.asp">Products</a>

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  06:59:24  
Thanks Andy

I removed that line of text. However the word "Products" is hanging out above the remaining words in the top bar. How can I get that back down where it needs to be?

Ex: https://www.usafleetsupply.com/affiliate.asp

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  07:01:13  
Try it like this

<li class="headi"><a href="#">Products</a>

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  07:20:39  
Gotcha. Hopefully that will create a little easier experience for mobile users.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  07:48:09  
I would do the same thing with Categories as well.

Mark

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  09:41:32  
Good idea, will do

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  16:46:07  
Mark,

Thank you for your suggestions. My mobile bounce rate has dropped from 85% to 73% since the edits that you suggested. Although still much higher than I would like, the changes obviously helped.

What would I do without all you peeps?

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  16:52:00  
Get on those pics and it will go down more ..... How much of your traffic is Mobile vs Desktop?

Mark

Edited by - Paradise on 01/22/2019 16:52:12

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  17:20:55  
I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to enlarge my small images. I've seen some downloadable programs that will resize images in bulk. I just have so many images, I'm a little cautious and hesitant to move on anything unless I'm sure about it. I don't have my conversion code implemented but from what I can make out, my conversion rate is approx. 0.5%....terrible.

Desktop = 53%
Mobile = 42%
Tablet = 4%

John M
Advanced Member

377 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  23:47:19  
Images. Images. Images! Pictures sell everything online and wow most of yours are so small they are not even viewable!

Every image needs to be exactly the same ratio and size throughout the website. Stick to one format religiously e.g. 1:1 square shape jpg for every product picture... photoshop if necessary... Start with and original image at least of 2000x2000 pixels for the giant image, 1000x1000 for the large image and 250x250 for the small image. Every category must have an image to bring people in... It is the Pictures that sell and absolutely nothing else matters if you don't have good images... Spend most of your time, effort and money for your website on taking good photo's and editing them with photoshop or get someone else to do it for you. Once that is done then all other stuff will become important but without good product and category images you will get absolutely nowhere.

John

Edited by - John M on 02/11/2019 00:09:34
   Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2020 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000