Author « Topic »  

jezze
Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  12:51:57  
I don't know if this is right place to ask the following:

I just incorporated my company to a LLC
Should I add LLC to my company name and contact forms on my website?

Jezze
PlusASP v6.5.0

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  13:44:08  
In Florida, if you are an LLC, you "MUST" indicate that anywhere you use your company name.
I am not sure about other states.
It sounds very official to me, so why not add it on your website anyway?

If you enjoy reading up on this stuff, here is some Florida info
http://form.sunbiz.org/pdf/605_Booklet.pdf
quote:

Name.

(1)
The name of a limited liability company:
(a)
Must contain the words “limited lia
bility company”
or the abbreviation “L.L.C.” or “LLC”;

David
ECT Power User

Edited by - dbdave on 10/03/2017 13:47:56

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  13:46:10  
Hi Jezze, most of my clients do show LLC or Inc next to their company name, some customers see it as a more legitimate business and feel more comfortable shopping with a actual company.

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

jezze

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  13:52:43  

Hi dave and sinbad
Thanks for your suggestions

Jezze
PlusASP v6.5.0

BobT

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  03:58:15  
FWIW, I incorporated into an LLC last August (in New York)

You certainly want to display your company name with "LLC" !!

Many states require it to maintain your corporate identity. Also as you begin making money, paying bills or transacting business it allows you to easily identify company income/expenses. As one of the reasons many incorporate is for tax reasons, you want to make sure that your business life is distinct and separate from your personal finances. It's very important to keep separate records, bank accounts etc in your LLC name, it will help keep the IRS or State from disallowing your company for tax purposes, dumping all of the income from the company into your personal income and subjecting it all to self employment taxes.

Good luck! It's working very well for our LLC

pauld
Advanced Member

USA
460 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  09:53:44  
Jezze, in most US states you can go to your county clerk and file an Assumed Name Certificate that allows you to operate under any DBA you like.

Here in our Texas county there's a one-time fee of $15.00 for this.

So our legal company name that's filed with our secretary of state for sales taxes, etc., is similar to "Example Stuff Holding Company LLC" but our website shows the company name "Example Stuff", which matches the assumed name on our certificate. The assumed name (DBA) can be owned by a person, or by a company.

This might be a workaround in case you'd like to stay with your simple web store name, without the LLC.

jezze

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  12:15:33  
Paul,

Let's see if I understand.

if I just want to use just my company name without LLC I just file for a DBA name at my county clerk.

Am I right?

What are the advantage and disadvantages of filing a DBA vs filing for a LLC?

Jezze
ASP v6.8.1
PHP v6.7.2

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  13:10:34  
In Florida, they call it a ficticious name. It renews every 5 years.
It has nothing to do with taxes.
LLC does have to do with your tax status.

In the end, it's up to the state you are in and some well formed google searches will give you all you need to know.

David
ECT Power User

pauld
Advanced Member

USA
460 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  13:29:14  
Jezze, I'm not an attorney so please verify everything that's said below.

The main reason that a sole proprietor establishes an LLC with their states's secretary of state is usually to limit your liability - so that you don't risk losing your home, car, etc., should somebody sue the company. This is generally a very good idea. We've done everything we can to make customers happy over the years, yet were threatened with a lawsuit by an enormous organization, in a vastly different market, with a history of taking action against smaller companies for unexpected reasons. We've heard plenty of stories about patent trolls going after smaller companies, too.

The IRS generally treats a sole proprietor's LLC the same as the individual taxpayer, so all profits flow directly to you on your federal tax forms. However, you can file additional paperwork with the IRS to change this - for example a form 2553 to be treated as an S Corporation. Sole proprietors sometimes convert to an S Corporation to reduce self-employment taxes, but this requires much more ongoing paperwork, including quarterly payroll tax payments to the IRS. Texas has no state income tax, and our attorney advised us that there's no need to file additional paperwork with our state to be treated an an S Corporation by the IRS.

Here in Texas an individual, LLC, or corporation can file an assumed name certificate with their local county clerk. Once you do this, you can call your company the assumed name (DBA) that's on the certificate. This is often used, say, if you have a website to promote one kind of product, and want to launch a website with a different URL to promote something else. An individual, LLC or corporation can all register as many assumed names as they need to to operate their businesses. An assumed name doesn't need to include the type of entity (LLC, Inc., Corp., or anything else) which is good since this could change over time.

Having an assumed name (DBA) doesn't change anything with respect to your legal status, liability, taxes, etc. It only makes it legal for your business to operate under one or more assumed names (DBAs) you choose.

If you're considering establishing an LLC or DBA, it's important to register the corresponding domain name with your web host before registering it at any government office, or even inquiring whether anyone else is using the name. That's because some government database queries are visible to unscrupulous third parties who may try to quickly grab the URL and hold it for ransom. We were fortunate that our desired LLC name was something long and unremarkable, because someone grabbed that domain name the instant we checked it at the county clerk's office. So we simply found another long, unremarkable name for our LLC, registered that domain name (which we use only for some vendor emails that don't involve customers), and then registered the LLC name with the state.

We knew to register our short, memorable web store domain name with our web host before checking it at any government office. Thank goodness.

I hope this helps.

Edited by - pauld on 10/15/2017 14:24:27

jezze

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  13:37:48  

Thanks a lot Paul

Very useful information

Jezze
ASP v6.8.1
PHP v6.7.2
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000