Facebook link shows no or wrong image
Author « Topic »  

screek

USA
62 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  11:31:08  
I'd like to use either SHARE or copy/paste my product detail URL to promote a new item in my Facebook business page but almost always either no image shows or the logo comes up. Sometimes a post works but usually not. When my product detail pages have multiple images, usually no image shows and if it does its just a portion of the image. When I have Related items, the "Related To" photos show as the choices for my post which is no help because I want to promote the earrings, not the related necklace, etc -- the earring photo, of course, is not one of the options.

My product detail images are most always 500x500.

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  11:38:02  
Hi, screek, social media is built into the shopping cart software and will display on the detail page have a look at how to enable and setup here https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/social-media.asp

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

screek

USA
62 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  12:14:02  
No the buttons work fine. The problem is the images displaying when they are shared on social media. I found something in the User Manual about debugging so I'll read how to do that. Will let you know how I fare.

UPDATE: I went to https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/ , entered the problem URLs into the debugger and even though it said I was missing OG code the item displayed properly, I was able to select which of the multiple images existed. So I guess RT*M was the answer.

Edited by - screek on 11/17/2017 13:00:57

ITZAP
Ecommerce Template Guru

Australia
1010 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  15:03:19  
If you add the Open Graph OG meta tag code to your proddetail.asp /.php page, then Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest will know exactly which image you want displayed in your post.

The minimum image size is 200 x 200 pixels. If your Product Image is smaller than this, then you will see an error in the Sharing Debugger and Social Media will just grab some larger image from your page, not the one you want.

Something not mentioned on the ECT Social Media Help page is a this very handy parameter you can add to includes.asp /.php:

// Use GIANT image (if available) for Social Media <meta og:image> URL on proddetail.php pages (new v6.8.0)
$usegiantogimage=true;

or for ASP ...

usegiantogimage=true

Big images are always more effective in attracting attention and generating more click-throughs on Social Media pages.

The Facebook "Sharing Best Practices" page is an interesting read. And Facebook "Insights" will help you measure the success of your posts.
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/best-practices

Gary

Edited by - ITZAP on 11/17/2017 15:17:47

screek

USA
62 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  10:35:57  
Thanks for this post, just wanted to give an answer so you know I appreciate your suggestions.

I figured there wasn't a way of indicating OG without having to add it to the page and didn't want to do that in case I screwed something up. I will try the includes parameter (of which I either wasn't aware or didn't understand in the guide ) and update this to let you know how it went.
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000