Caveats for moving to extensionless urls after not
Previous Page
Author « Topic »
Page: of 2

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  06:24:58  
That needs to go on the products and categories page only and anywhere in the HEAD section but before the css lines.

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  06:31:23  
Still confused - instructions say "just before the opening <head> tag" while "anywhere in the HEAD section" seems to imply between <head> and </head>. Which is correct?
Steve

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  06:34:26  
It doesn't really matter as long as it's before the css lines, I would put it in immediately after the title / meta descriptions tags for example.

Andy

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  07:22:54  
Still broken - one odd thing is all .html files in the store root throw a 404 error. I would not think this would be impacted by changes affecting the .asp files, nor do I see anything in the edited web.config that would cause it.

Perhaps it is due to an issue with my host - I noticed that when transferring files using FileZilla I get an error message saying the server certificate is unknown/expired. They confirmed that their admins are working on getting certificates updated, but again, I don't see how this would result in the problems I am having accessing my site via browser.

Steve

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  07:28:05  
I think it's more like a problem somehwre in the web.config file

Trty it like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<rewrite>
<rules>
<rule name="Categories Match" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="^category/([^/]*)/?$" />
<action type="Rewrite" url="categories.asp?cat={UrlEncode:{R:1}}" />
</rule>
<rule name="Product Match" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="^products/([^/]*)/?$" />
<action type="Rewrite" url="products.asp?cat={UrlEncode:{R:1}}" />
</rule>
<rule name="Manufacturer Match" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="^manufacturer/([^/]*)/?$" />
<action type="Rewrite" url="products.asp?man={UrlEncode:{R:1}}" />
</rule>
<rule name="Product Detail Page Match" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="^([^/]+)/?$" />
<conditions>
<add input="{URL}" pattern="\.asp" negate="true" />
<add input="{URL}" pattern="\.css" negate="true" />
</conditions>
<action type="Rewrite" url="proddetail.asp?prod={UrlEncode:{R:1}}" />
</rule>
</rules>
</rewrite>
</system.webServer>
</configuration>

Andy

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  07:52:42  
All that does is remove the original content in web.config, below:
<handlers>
<remove name="PHP_via_FastCGI" />
<add name="PHP_via_FastCGI" path="*.php" verb="*" modules="FastCgiModule" scriptProcessor="D:\PHP\5.6\php-cgi.exe" resourceType="Either" />
</handlers>

Still broke, I give up for now, will remove the changes and try it again over the weekend from a fresh perspective. I'm quite convinced that I followed the instructions so it is either a certificate issue or something otherwise not apparent.
Steve

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  07:57:36  
You could show the web.config file to your host and ask if they have the URL Rewrite IIS Extension installed on the server.

Andy

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  08:04:26  
I did that yesterday - here is their response: "We already have the IIS 'URL Rewrite' module installed and you can use your websites web.config in order to manage different URL rewrites that your site requires. Your software vendor should be able to assist in setting up the needed rewrites for your application.

Note: We also have ISAPI Rewrite installed on the server, which you can use .htaccess rewrites using this method. The IIS 'URL Rewrite' module uses the web.config file for the domain."

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  08:23:47  
That should be fine then. You can send me on your FTP details if you like and I'll take a look.

Andy

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  11:32:46  
Sure, let me know best way to provide login details. The changes to products.asp and categories.asp are in there, the line that reflects having SSL Certificate. The host has apparently made the corrections so that no certificate error appears in FileZilla when connecting or uploading files. It works fine, though without search engine friendly URLs.

History is cleared after every change prior to retesting.

Uploading the edited config.web breaks the site - any .html call throws a 404 error. Products and categories can be displayed but none of the product or category pages reflect search engine friendly URLs.

I then update includes.asp as follows. I first had detlinkspacechar not commented out, but changed due to error message in admin interface.
seodetailurls=TRUE
seocategoryurls=TRUE
<!--detlinkspacechar="-"-->
<!--seocaturlpattern="/category/%s"-->
<!--seoprodurlpattern="/products/%s"-->
<!--seomanufacturerpattern="/manufacturer/%s"-->
<!--seourlsthrow301=TRUE-->

I can now select "All Products" and step through one-by-one, most display and some throw 404 error. Same with categories. No pattern that I can see, and I looked in the admin interface to try and discern differences.

Thank you,
Steve

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  11:39:11  
Ahhhhhh...after

<add input="{URL}" pattern="\.asp" negate="true" />

Add

<add input="{URL}" pattern="\.html" negate="true" />

Andy

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  12:49:06  
OK got that, fixed some problems. Next issue is I have a category called "Live Video Streaming and Recording" to which sub-categories can be added. The sub-categories defined are Portable HD/SD/audio Streaming/Recording, Live Video Production, and Portable Video Production. Accessing this category from the top nav bar uses this address: https://www.i-cubeinc.com/category/Live%20Video%20Streaming%20and%20Recording. Using the left nav bar uses this address: https://www.i-cubeinc.com/categories.asp?cat=4. Both go to the same page.

Clicking on any of the sub-categories throws a 404 error, no idea why, but I can see that a cryptic address is shown in the browser address bar.

Steve

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  13:02:19  
I think you need to remove any non-alphanumeric characters from the category name. Any manual links you've added to menus should point to the new url structure.

Andy

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  14:02:23  
If you are talking about the %20 in the URL I copied, those are spaces, I assume a result of following the admin panel recommendation to comment out the detlinkspacechar="-" in includes.asp. Never an issue before.

The cryptic address that shows when clicking sub-categories somehow inserts a sub-directory called products, so no wonder it throws a 404 error.
https://www.i-cubeinc.com/products/Portable%20HD%2FSD%2Faudio%20Streaming%2FRecording

How that gets inserted is beyond my skill set - this functionality was introduced in an e-mail announcement from a year ago, so I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more refined and leads to so much time consuming trial-and-error. An example is I'm surprised no one to date has experienced the issues I had leading to the insertion of a line in config.web to address .html extensions. I'm just going to put it back the way it was for now and see if there might be a more feasible way to obtain the highly desired SEO friendly URLs.

Steve

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  00:12:39  
If you have a category called Portable HD/SD/audio Streaming/Recording the slashes are going to cause problems with the URL rewrite as the system uses the slash as well so it causes a conflict. The solution is to remove the slashes so the category name is Portable HD SD audio Streaming Recording

Andy

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  10:18:48  
Got that and made a change. It also seems to have problems with + and - characters so still trying to sort that out.

The largest issue now is I still have no clue as to what is causing the following addressing issue to occur with any page that has a .html extension. It happens when selecting a choice on the categories.asp page.
https://www.i-cubeinc.com/products/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.i-cubeinc.com%2Flive_video_production.html

This throws a 404 error and does not occur prior to making the changes instructed for config.web and includes.asp. Does this have something to do with rules in config.web?

Steve

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  10:30:35  
Did you add this to web.config

<add input="{URL}" pattern="\.html" negate="true" />

Andy

stevep
Advanced Member

USA
182 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  10:45:55  
Figured out addressing issue - in admin categories, have url specified.
Page: of 2 « Topic »  
Previous Page
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000