Author « Topic »  

C4009
Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
612 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  08:04:38  
This morning the Supreme Court released a decision that allows states to collect sales tax from internet companies that do not have a physical presents in a state. What this means is that we are looking at the potentially of having to collect, track, report and pay sales tax in 50 states all at different rates and most likely dependent upon total sales in a given states. This looks like an accounting disaster to me. Do you think that there will be an updates allowing us to collect sales tax at a given rate on a state by state basis added to ecommerce templates? We obviously have to collect it at time of sale.

I know this is quick however it may be the most important issue in ecommerce today. Thanks for your thoughts.

Charles Goldberg
SleepRestfully.com

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  08:14:43  
Hi Charles

You can already set tax at State level in the Admin States page.

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  08:22:37  
You're right Charles, it can be a nightmare.
I have not looked at the details of this ruling you mention, but (most) all of the proposed legislation I have seen in the past, excluded smaller sellers. Typically under 1m annual.
I also expect that any legislation passes will allow for some preparation time before it's enacted.
Hopefully there will be some simplification for filing.
States can't expect merchants to comply unless they simplify.
There are over 10,000 tax districts in the United States.

C4009

USA
612 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  08:41:21  
Andy,

Thank you I did find it although I wish I never had to look for it. How can I find the reports that are available for taxes paid along with sales totals that make up the tax total for reporting purposes? I know I am jumping ahead however I like to have a handle on things before it turns into a "now" thing.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  08:59:05  
In the admin stats page you can filter orders state by state and that will display state tax totals for the given period.

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

DLSS
ECT Moderator

Canada
3936 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  10:01:23  
I have created a mod that integrates Tax Cloud. They have a good backend for sale collection. https://taxcloud.com/home

The mod accesses their API to get the sales tax for the state, and mark the sales when completed for filing (invisible to you) in ECT.
TaxCloud is free if you choose to file your taxes in the States you are required.

The reason I have not yet released it publically is due to the fact I am converting it to PHP. I have it complete for ASP.

Mike

Mike Beebe
President,
DataLinks Software Solutions
www.dlss.ca

Rate Me Here

ASP and PHP mods - www.dlss.ca/products.asp
A Tremendous Home - Home Decor and Design, D-I-Y Projects, Home Life, Recipes - www.ATremendousHome.com

Edited by - DLSS on 06/21/2018 10:03:02

larryoos
Advanced Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  11:49:10  
Mike,
Have you released the ASP version yet?

Larry

DLSS
ECT Moderator

Canada
3936 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  06:41:07  
Larry,

Yes the ASP version has been out for several months. I just do not yet have it up on my site until I have both done.

Send me an email.

Mike

Mike Beebe
President,
DataLinks Software Solutions
www.dlss.ca

Rate Me Here

ASP and PHP mods - www.dlss.ca/products.asp
A Tremendous Home - Home Decor and Design, D-I-Y Projects, Home Life, Recipes - www.ATremendousHome.com

atlend
Advanced Member

USA
319 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  07:49:14  
will apply to many small businesses. Many of the states have laws are in place to have low transaction thresholds that will trigger the nexus. Many of them are 200 transactions even if you are under the $ volume. You may not want to hold your breath waiting for states immediately come after all of the smaller retailers, but technically need to do it at some point.

https://www.avalara.com/us/en/learn/sales-tax/South-Dakota-Wayfair.html?referrer=&lastReferrer=www.avalara.com&sessionId=1534257984245

Graham Slaughter

816 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2020 :  11:46:57  
Hey Mike,

Can you hit me up with details on the ASP version?

- Graham Slaughter
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000