Page: of 2

schreck
Advanced Member

USA
153 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  04:45:41  
The coupon code and everything is working correctly. My only issue is the shipping rates vary based on size and/or location.

Lets say shipping to NJ where < 10lbs is cheaper to ship USPS Priority, > 10lbs its cheaper to ship UPS Ground. So both shipping methods need to be FSA enabled.

Is there a way when the user enters the free shipping coupon that the only the cheapest method of shipping is free?

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  04:54:03  
Hi

That's not going to be possible if you have FSA checked for both shipping methods - it is though up to you how you ship, I'm sure the customer is more concerned with free shipping than the method used in this case.

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

schreck
Advanced Member

USA
153 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  07:44:22  
Thank you for the fast response Andy. I remember someone posted a work around years ago, making a custom carrier or something? Is that thread still active? I could not locate it.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  08:02:19  
I've had a look and can't find anything either - maybe someone else will pop in with an idea but I can't see it personally.

Andy

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  08:35:20  
I had posted a tip long ago about how we use price based shipping to handle our free shipping promo. This allows us to select the shipping carrier we choose to send the shipment.

Edited by - dbdave on 11/28/2018 08:35:41

schreck
Advanced Member

USA
153 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  08:52:49  
Are you still using this method Dave? I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. I remember your post years ago and thought I would never offer free shipping. Now has come the time when I have too just to get customers.

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  09:50:57  
We do it this way, make a rule under postal zones (See image below) and under main settings use the price based shipping first, USPS second and UPS third.

Can't use a coupon but you could set the free shipping threshold to whatever you wanted.

[img]https://www.paradiseclothingco.com/images/tech/Free%20Shipping%20Setup.png[/img]

Mark
Responsive Design Deals Ecomm Plus - ASP 6.8
www.paradiseclothingco.com

Edited by - Paradise on 11/28/2018 09:52:51

schreck
Advanced Member

USA
153 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  10:48:34  
Thank you for the idea Paradise. I have to stick with using a coupon code for free shipping though.

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  13:39:57  
How do you want to use the coupon? Buy a certain amount and get a coupon or send out coupon codes?

Mark

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  16:18:48  
I can get in on this topic after I get back from a 5 day cruise. Leaving in the morning.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  23:53:59  
Not taking your laptop with you?

Enjoy it!

Andy

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  06:22:35  
quote:
Not taking your laptop with you?

In the past, yes. Now... NOPE.
I have some well paid and trained employees, so off I go....

schreck
Advanced Member

USA
153 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  07:14:56  
Thanks Dave. Enjoy your cruise! I am going to experiment with doing a JS div change if FSA is anabled. Have a new div that just displays free shipping or something like that. I am not a coder, so it will take me longer to figure out, versus an experienced JS coder.

schreck
Advanced Member

USA
153 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  09:29:53  
Hey Dave,

If you can, when you have a free moment. Please post how you setup your free shipping coupon. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  10:21:43  
I'll work on this, this evening.

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  20:08:28  
Ok, it's too bad that my old post got purged, but I did take the time to write a more thorough post and it covers .asp and .php.

I hope it helps a few folks out.

https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111036

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  20:23:20  
He wants to use a coupon for free shipping ......

Mark

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  21:24:21  
I saw that Mark, but I think others may be able to use this and he did ask for the details.
Perhaps he might want to take the leap and offer an automatic free shipping discount too because I think it's something most store owners have to come to terms with. For us, it was a difficult bite to swallow, but once we saw the growth it brought, we found it was well worth it.
Free shipping weighs very high on buyers decision to follow through.

We take a bigger hit on some orders than others, but in the end you have to look at a broad range of time to gauge the good/bad results.

schreck
Advanced Member

USA
153 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  06:22:20  
Yeah Mark is right I am looking for a coupon code. I have to offer free shipping no matter what though. I am losing customer after customer because of shipping. My issue with a discount instead of coupon is that I cannot offer both. Customers always ask for a coupon code. I cannot get rid of my 12% off coupon code. If the free shipping discount kicks in and they use my 12% off coupon code, I am out of business. haha How do you battle that Dave? Do you still offer a discount and a coupon code?

*Edit- Great tutorial Dave! Thank you so much. Is it possible that I change it to coupon instead of discount?

Edited by - schreck on 12/12/2018 06:27:35

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  07:17:46  
Hi, we do offer some discount codes. And what we have done is we have a page on our site that is named company-name-discount-codes.asp
This helps when customers search for those coupon code sites with our company name. They are more likely to land on our site.
Here we list the codes we offer and explain that free shipping is a terrific discount.
Some many customers want a discount and forget that free shipping is a (big) discount.

We setup a discount that is 5% off an order, but it only works on order up to $99.00
This keeps it from working with free shipping.

Then we have some other special discounts here and there for specific products or categories.

I have added a link in my profile (click my user name) to that discounts page so you can see it.
I think the free shipping will be more powerful than the 12% discount for growing your business.
Personally, I would email my clients about the new free shipping and let them know we are doing away with the 12% discount in exchange for that and that it's a better discount in many cases.
Of course you can set that 12% discount so it works for orders that are not large enough to get the free shipping.

Paradise
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1602 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  07:22:00  
I’m not sure what kind of products you sell, but for us we just raised prices on all of our items $2 - $3 to cover the free shipping. We don’t lose $$$$ and the customers love the free shipping.

Something I noticed they like a lot is a first time buyer coupon. We had left on a vacation and I put a note up on the product and cart pages stating that we were on vacation and if they didn’t mind waiting for their order to ship when we returned they use a coupon code I had listed. Once we got back I took the message off and the order rate fell so I tested a first time order coupon (I know some repeat customers will use the code as well which is fine) and the order rate went back up.

Dave, that is a another great tutorial.

Mark

Edited by - Paradise on 12/12/2018 07:24:01
Page: of 2 « Topic »  
Next Page
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000