Ratfink11
Advanced Member

USA
192 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  16:18:14  
I fear to ask this stupid question.

I have done the latest updates and see all the hooplah over the Froala editor... Which is great?
I have also looked at any and all support questions regarding the Froala Editor.

The question I have is why the editor? why do we need it and what function does it replace or make better?
I cant seem to find any installation instructions on the ECT Website. I realize It was installed with the latest update.
If anyone hasnt performed the latest update they have to upload the files from the Froala website? Which leads me to the question is why wouldnt anyone be on the latest updates and why would they all of a sudden want or need to use the Froala Editor when most use Dreamweaver/Expression Web.

How does this editor function? where would I use it?

As much sense as this seems to make to me to ask these questions... Im sure Im going to get blasted... As you might imagine by these questions I have missing gaps of info on how certain functions of ECT work and perform. I cant seem to find a work flow for the ECT app/templates that explain an overview of the functionality and what parts perform what and why?

This reminds me a a little red button placed in the center of a console with no label on it... The only way to figure out what it is or does is to push the button and cringe a little? :) Sorry I dont get it... I hope its an ok question to ask?

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10289 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  21:00:26  
It's an html editor embedded in the forms within your admin.
It is in the short and long description of products, category descriptions, content regions, email messaging admin, and a few other places.
It allows you to dress up those areas easily without having to write your own html, or just show plain vanellia text.

BTW - You need to take action for it to work. You need a setting in your includes and you need to download the files from ect and upload them to your admin.

quote:
If anyone hasnt performed the latest update they have to upload the files from the Froala website?

I don't understand what you mean. You should be using the download from ect.

https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/free_downloads.asp#htmleditor
Instructions are right there as well.

If you want to see it in action, try this link - https://www.froala.com/wysiwyg-editor/examples/full-featured
although all of the options there are not available in the ect version, but you get the idea.
It's like using a word doc. But it writes HTML in the background for you.
In the demo there, type text and then highlight it and make it bold, or do other things...
Then click the </> icon to view source and see the html that was created.

This all has nothing to do with your website design (Dreamweaver/Expression Web). It's just a tool in your admin.

Ratfink11
Advanced Member

USA
192 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  00:59:40  
Again, really sorry for being the dumbest box of rocks...

I did the mods to the vsadmin includes over a year ago.

The link that was included (Thankyou btw) doesn't seem to have the info or instructions I am looking for? I listed it in red below...

The creators of ECT must have had a specific reason why they included Froala and CK Editor and that is the info I am looking for. Is there a Froala or CK Editor Tool Button?

Is Froala and the CK Editor for creating dynamic pages and or forms, like news, sales or specials, ect that makes it easier for the end store users (IE, store staff) to work with? I have been creating all these dynamic forms/pages through expression web. I must be doing it the hard way?

If someone was just purchasing an ECT template and everyone is talking about a (vsadmin includes file) they wouldn't understand what this is or what purpose is has in the ECT application. I am looking for this info, how ECT works and what functions it has and specifically where to make these happen. Like documentation providing a definition of what the Includes file does? Some of the ECT template/shopping cart is self explanatory. Like the product image folder... where we place all the images for our products... I am looking for this type of documentation that spells out the layout of ECT. Things like the assets folder, extras folder, there are reasons for these folders, and pages, and code in certain places and it would be great to understand this in order to better utilize ECT. There must be info some where for this? An overview? Program flow?

I feel I am wasting others time asking some of these questions I research prior. I really don't want to ask for help

[red]"The HTML editor is a wysiwyg interface used in the control panel to simplify the HTML formatting of product descriptions, email messaging, content management system etc.
To enable the Froala HTML Editor for ASP you will need this addition to in includes.asp
htmleditor="froala"
To enable the Froala HTML Editor for PHP you will need this addition to in includes.php
$htmleditor="froala";
Please note that there is no image upload available in the ASP Version
Version 6.9.3 is required to use the PHP Froala Editor and a minimum of 6.9.4 for the ASP Froala Editor.
If you are using the Froala HTML editor, copy the /froala/ directory from the download to your vsadmin folder
To enable the CK Editor you will need this addition to includes.asp
htmleditor="ckeditor"
and for the PHP version in includes.php
$htmleditor="ckeditor";
Version 6.2 is required to use the CK Editor
If you are using the ckeditor copy the /ckeditor/ directory to your vsadmin folder"
[/red]

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  01:21:29  
The froala HTML editor is replacing the ckeditor as our preferred HTML editor for admin text fields. As David kindly said it's used to provide HTML tools for things like the product description fields, email messaging fields, content management fields etc within the admin. It is only used in the admin so can't be used for setting up new pages, dynamic pages, forms or whatever outside of the control panel.

We don't provide documentation on coding behind the software as it wasn't set up to be editable and therefore with the possibility of being overwritten by new versions - custom coding is something that would have to be taken on at the store owners risk for that reason

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000