Author « Topic »  

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 05/31/2019 :  21:41:34  
Got this from Paypal. I have seen what appeared to be carding at my website once and it pretty much ended with the multiple purchases IP blocking. Anybody not using the multiple purchases IP blocking should take notice of this one.
Anything else that can be done to prevent such a thing?
Does Paypal respond back with a code on a bounced transaction so that any user that may have fatfingered a value can be sent some sort of generic 'An error was detected in your account credentials"?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to significant fraudulent carding attacks occurring across the industry, Visa and MasterCard are looking at possible fines for merchants who don't take the appropriate actions to prevent carding; see here for more information on Carding.

To help in this regard, we'll be releasing a Carding Module in the coming weeks and wanted to inform you of this new feature so that you can begin to implement controls into your website to handle the new result code that will be returned. This feature will be auto-enabled when it goes live. 

Sometime in late June; we’ll begin to monitor for a high-level of declines and invalid information such as expiration date or invalid Card Security Code (CSC) and if the number of declines exceeds the threshold set by PayPal, the carding module will be triggered.

Once the carding module is triggered, the following will occur: 

1. An email will be sent to all ADMIN users on the account informing them of the attack. Please see reminder below.
2. The account will be blocked, and all transactions will be rejected. 
3. A Result Code of 170, with the message of “Fraudulent activity detected: Carding”; RESULT=170, RESPMSG=Fraudulent activity detected: Carding, will be returned on ALL transactions while the account is being blocked.

To unblock your account, you can temporarily disable the carding module by performing the following actions:

1. Log into Manager at https://manager.paypal.com.
2. Click Account Administration
3. Under Manage Security, click Carding Prevention
4. To allow transactions to be accepted again, under Carding Prevention Status, select Not Blocked.  

Within a few minutes, transactions will begin to be processed as normal. If any transactions received a result code of 170, they can be resubmitted if necessary either by performing a Reference Transaction or resending the transaction as a new one.  

Important note: If you don’t take the appropriate action to prevent high-velocity attacks (carding), your account will be blocked again. 

Please be aware that you're responsible for any transactional fees imposed by PayPal, or your bank for carding attacks. This service is being implemented to help minimize the impact and to warn you of possible fraudulent activity and to help reduce possible fees.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2019 :  23:48:51  
Hi

More than likely it is a bot so you could use reCaptcha on checkout https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/admin-main.asp#recaptcha

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

xxcfdrr
Advanced Member

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2021 :  19:00:21  
Regarding this carding situation, will we see multiple bunk transactions in the store admin ?

xxcfdrr
Advanced Member

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  13:11:44  
Is it possible for the carding attack to happen to the site without the incomplete orders in the store admin ?

xxcfdrr
Advanced Member

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  14:11:01  

Need to know regarding this carding situation,

If these charges are showing up in PayPal, but not in the ECT admin, how is this possible?

Also, this particular store is set to Transaction Type: Authorization, instead of Sale.

This carding keeps happening and PayPal is insisting it's coming from the web site. I am wondering if the Transaction: Authorization is causing this.

But again, wouldn't we be seeing equal amounts of bunk transactions in the ECT admin ?

Store software is 7.2.6

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  14:27:10  
Hi There
Sorry this went without an answer but I think what they are doing is using the back button on the last page of checkout . . . entering a card number then pressing the back button to do it again. It's probably good though that the transaction type is authorization as that way, the card owner isn't going to see any charge on the card as it will never be captured.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  14:29:42  
I had a situation where cart contents, hundreds of items, would be located into a cart in seconds.
It seems as though these bots can submit info directly to a form without actually filling the form in the browser.
So it appears as though this bot is submitting data directly to your payment provider without going through the cart.
I'm not sure how that's possible, and perhaps Vince will have some details.

I would start by changing passwords on everything related to hosting, database, admin, as a precautionary measure.

David

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  14:36:35  
Ok, I didn't realize Vince was replying the same time I was...

David

xxcfdrr
Advanced Member

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  14:57:52  
On the day this happened, 3/20, there were no incomplete transactions in the ECT store admin and no orders deleted. I can't see how someone got through the checkout far enough without entering their customer details to try a credit card.

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  03:29:01  
In the details for these failed transactions, isn't there an order ID? It should be impossible to create an order without an order id and that should be reflected in the order in the paypal site under "Custom".

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000