PHP (Unix / Linux / Apache) versions
 Secondary vsadmin, clarification req'd
Author « Topic »  

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1179 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  03:08:05  
It's ages since this secondary vsadmin folder was setup, so I'm looking for some clarification on a few points. I am not the one who usually updates the ECT stuff, it's always carried out by my mate. One of our sites uses a secondary vsadmin folder.

1: When applying the updater am I correct in thinking that the updated files need applying to both vsadmin folders?

2: I could really do with getting shut of the secondary vsadmin in the near future, what's involved / required?

The whole site files and the db are fully backed up in case the operation goes pear shaped! :-(

Steve
Manchester, UK.

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10264 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  06:08:17  
Hi Charlie, in the early days it was recommended to "lock down" the vsadmin and create a secondary and login from there to administer your store. You can set a parameter to disable login in your includes.
This is because everyone knows vsadmin.

In 2017 there was a feature added to enhance security on the vsadmin, so most folks could quit doing that.
https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=107742
quote:
We've added a couple of extra layers of security to the admin login, making it unnecessary in most cases to use a hidden admin login. Firstly, we've added flood control so you can only try a login once every 5 seconds and this should stop Brute Force attacks on the admin login. Secondly, and thanks to Phil@Bettapages for the idea, we've added an optional loginkey parameter. To set this just add the parameter to your vsadmin/includes.asp/php file...
loginkey="myloginkey"
$loginkey="myloginkey";
Changing of course "myloginkey" for a login key of your choice.
Once set, you cannot log in without adding your login key to your admin login URL, for instance...
http://www.yourstoreurl.com/vsadmin/admin.asp?loginkey=myloginkey
http://www.yourstoreurl.com/vsadmin/admin.php?loginkey=myloginkey
You can use anything you like as your loginkey, but as it's going to be entered in the URL you shouldn't use special characters.

However, there may be some reasons to keep a secondary. I have quite a few mods in my admin, and to be sure none of them have any kind of impact on my front end, I use the secondary admin.

You are correct in that you must apply any updates to both folders.

If you want to go back to using the vsadmin, just delete that secondary admin from the site and if you have set the disallowlogin parameter in that includes file, remove it, and your all set.

Edited by - dbdave on 08/09/2019 06:12:04

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1179 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  10:53:40  
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed response.

The loginkey feature is exactly what I need to implement so I shall crack on with that later this evening.

Steve
Manchester, UK.
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000