Updater and directory change Q
Author « Topic »  

coastalem

63 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/07/2019 :  18:04:59  
Hi, I am updating my v6.6.5 web site with a new template, ASP and Access DB

I just purchased the premium template Felicity AND the updater for 7.0.6 for ASP

Right now my existing v6.6.5 is in the directory /shop

I want the new template (end goal here with the store update) is to be in the root of the site and NO longer in a sub-directory of /shop

The updater steps it says: ... Connect to your site via FTP and upload updatestore.asp or updatestore.php to your store root - that is where you have your store pages like the cart, products and proddetail pages.

In your browser open the page www.yourstoreurl.com/updatestore.asp or for the PHP version www.yourstoreurl.com/updatestore.php

Check the version you are updating to and any warning messages about versions, uploading the css and js files etc.

Click the Upgrade to Version xxx button and you will see the database being updated. On completion you should see a "Success" message and the page will refresh...
______

Basically, how do I update the existing database to 7.0.6 where my existing store is in /shop, when I will install the new template to root. The location of the DB remains in the same location no matter what, but not sure where to put the updatestore.asp file for this DB update.

Can I put the updatestore.asp in the root to update the DB, or does it HAVE to been done from the existing /shop directory. Or can it be done in /shop now, and then update again in root once the new template is installed.

Also, Do I have to update my existing store files in /shop after the updatestore.asp if I plan to install a totally new template in root? Trying to save some steps here if said steps are not needed. In the end, my old template is being retired in favor of the new template going to root.

Q 2: Can I leave the /shop ect cart there at the same time as I upload and work on the new root template. Or should I delete the /shop template files first. Yes I have a backup (more than one:-) of my current site and DB. I am thinking the DB once updated, will not work with my existing version /shop files, which is fine if I can save the step of not updating those files in favor of simply installing the new template to root.

I plan to do this in a day (with a little stragglers I assume) and at a time where I am not concerned if the site is a little wonky during this process if it saves a step or two on going from /shop to root as talked about above.

Q 3) Right now my product options are set to "radio" for option display. Q: is there a way to bulk change that from radio to "dropdown"?

Please, let me know how best to proceed. Thank you in advance, Em

Edited by - coastalem on 10/07/2019 18:20:36

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2019 :  23:56:58  
Hi Em
quote:
Can I put the updatestore.asp in the root to update the DB, or does it HAVE to been done from the existing /shop directory.
You have to put the updatestore.asp in the /shop directory. It's not the location of the database that is important, it is the location of the vsadmin directory as the updatestore.asp script needs to find files like the vsadmin/db_conn_open.asp file for the database connection and vsadmin/includes.asp file for your store settings.
quote:
Can I leave the /shop ect cart there at the same time as I upload and work on the new root template.
Sure thing, that's no problem.
quote:
I am thinking the DB once updated, will not work with my existing version /shop files
If you copy the updater files to the /shop directory too it will continue to work. I would imagine you want your store to keep functioning while you update.
quote:
I plan to do this in a day (with a little stragglers I assume) and at a time where I am not concerned if the site is a little wonky during this process if it saves a step or two on going from /shop
Well, like I say, it should only take a minute to update /shop.

Another thing to take into account is this, do you get search engine traffic to /shop? If so, maybe a redirect from the /shop directory pages to the root site pages so that visitors that land in /shop from the search engines are redirected. Also, more importantly this can tell Google that the pages have moved so to update its index to the new location. If this is important, please let me know.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

coastalem

63 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/08/2019 :  04:09:28  
Hi, thank you for the reply and I understand.

Edited by - coastalem on 10/08/2019 04:31:48
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000