PHP (Unix / Linux / Apache) versions
 PayPal Express & Shipping - zone ignored
Author « Topic »  

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
419 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2019 :  05:00:32  
Hi, I have a store where remote regions (Eg Highlands of Scotland) have a shipping supplement. This is done by having a separate shipping zone and adding the remote 'states' (UK counties) to it. This all works fine, unless the customer uses PayPal Express.

This is where the problem occurs. The customer goes straight to PayPal Express and the address comes from PayPal. If it was a remote county, we don't get to charge the shipping supplement, and we lose out on postage costs.

We do have the shipping estimator on the cart page, and a message asking customers to use it, but of course sometimes they don't. We also have $forcestateselector=TRUE; but this does not stop the customer from clicking the PayPal Express button without using it.

Any suggestions please? It seems logical that if we have both $estimateshipping=TRUE; and $forcestateselector=TRUE; then could there be some Javascript on the PayPal Express button, which would force the shipping estimator to be used before redirecting to PayPal Express?

It seems rather an easy loophole that the customer use PayPal Express to avoid the shipping zone calculation. Am I missing something?

Thank you
Ellen

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10245 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2019 :  07:21:55  
Hi, have you thought about using paypal payments instead of express?
The customer still uses paypal, but the address used will be from your store and not from paypal.

David

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
419 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  02:35:12  
Hi Dave, we offer both PayPal Standard and PayPal Express. The latter is quite popular, with about half the customers choosing to use it, so reluctant to remove really.

I'm finding it hard to believe how other people are using this successfully - processing the payment before knowing the shipping location (and therefore cost) so I keep thinking we are missing or doing something wrong. At least we only ship to UK, how about overseas orders where the cost could vary hugely.

Does anyone else have experience of using PayPal Express where the shipping cost varies by country/region?

Please could ECT suggest or implement the feature I suggested to ensure the shipping estimator is used?

Thank you
Ellen

Vince
Administrator

42428 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  03:03:03  
Hi Ellen
Sorry it took me a couple of days to jump in here but I think this is going to be because the state that PayPal Express is returning is not matching this particular Scottish region. Could you try having a look at the order in question and see what the state / county is. Then have a look at the states admin page and see if it is there, and if not can you add it. Then add that state to the required zone.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
419 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  05:39:18  
Hi Vince, thank you for your reply, it does help me to understand what is going on! The example we had recently was with Aberdeenshire. We have removed this from the states (enabled=no in the shipping admin) because it is a large area, some areas have more expensive shipping and some do not, so we don't want to offer it with the automatically generated P&P cost. However, if a customer uses PayPal Express they can still enter an Aberdeenshire address. Is there any way around this, if not we may just have to add it back in with a guesstimate of shipping cost.

Many thanks
Ellen

Vince
Administrator

42428 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  05:49:29  
Hi Ellen
Can you let me know the URL of the store and I can check what happens in the checkout process. If you want to send it via email it's vince AT ecommercetemplates DOT com

Vince

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
419 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  09:29:06  
Thanks Vince, I have sent an email with details

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
419 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2019 :  02:14:49  
Hi Vince, did you get my email about this? Thank you. Ellen

Vince
Administrator

42428 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2019 :  02:48:49  
Hi Ellen
Yes, I did and based on your problem I made some changes in the v7.1.7 updater so that if on return from PayPal Express the state is required for shipping and the one PayPal returns isn't valid then the customer will be prompted to enter one. I think the real answer to the problem is still to see what PayPal returned and create a state for that name and then assign it the correct zone. But this will stop anyone slipping through the net and sorry I forgot to let you know.

Vince

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
419 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2019 :  09:52:10  
Hi Vince, OK thank you for the update. I'll do some testing with it. There are some areas we don't want to offer at all, but I guess we could create a really expensive shipping zone for those which would effectively put customers off! Thanks for your help :)
Ellen

Vince
Administrator

42428 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2019 :  10:13:57  
In that case Ellen, create a postal zone for the area you don't want and put an "x" instead of the rate. That way the system knows the area is not supported and displays an appropriate message.

Vince

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
419 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2019 :  05:12:47  
That's great thanks Vince! I've tested and now working perfectly, brilliant support ECT :)
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000