Off topic, News and Updates
 New Malicious Hack, very hard to find
Author « Topic »  

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  08:07:07  
A client was recently hacked. After doing the usual file searches, upload new files, and so on. the problem was not fixed. Turns out the hack was in the database, cleverly hidden.

As you know, the input field for the Admin category name is about 30 spaces wide. The hacker put 45 spaces between the category name and the malicious script so you could not see it when viewing the category in the Admin. Even with downloading the categoryinventory page, it was not readily visible as Excel defaults to column widths of about an inch and, with text in the 'sectionWorkingName' column, the additional text in the 'sectionName' column is hidden.

If you suspect a hack or are getting security warnings (mentioning google-smart) when you open a page, download your category inventory and product inventory files and search for <script> before you drive yourself crazy going through every page and ECT file.

As a side note, the hack is from China and the actual malicious script is on another server. The script in the hack is a document.write script.

And I say "New Malicious Hack" as I have not seen this spacing trick before.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

Vince
Administrator

42462 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  08:33:19  
Hi Marshall
I'm sorry to hear that your client got hacked and I'm glad you found the offending script. But did you find out how they put the script there in the first place? I'm assuming it's not an ECT vulnerability or you would have mentioned, but just to be sure etc.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  08:48:24  
How it got hacked is being looked into. If I find out, I will let you know. All I can say for now is it happened around 12/5 or 12/6. I checked other ECT sites I manage, both ASP and PHP, and could not find any others hacked.

Marshall
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

Vince
Administrator

42462 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  09:08:16  
Ok, good luck with finding the cause and thanks for the heads-up about the hack.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  13:38:22  
Just to follow up, seems this was an SQL injection. Two suspicious IP addresses were found: 111.90.141.195 out of Malaysia and 188.213.49.212 out of Romania, the later is a known for spam and brute force attacks.

Marshall
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

Vince
Administrator

42462 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  13:50:47  

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2019 :  17:19:17  
Not sure yet.

Marshall
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000