Free Shipping Discount Not Working
Author « Topic »  

Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  12:22:45  
I have offered Free Shipping on Orders of $100 or More for several years now. I haven't made any changes to my the discount. However the free shipping discount just stopped working for some reason.

The discount text still shows on my category, products, and proddetail pages. However when you get to the shopping cart, the discount isn't showing, and isn't being applied.

What might cause the discount to stop working on its own, I wonder..?

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  15:16:20  
Hi 1234
Can you check that the FSA (Free Shipping Applies) is checked for the shipping methods you want free shipping applied to? Also, make sure that if the free shipping is by country or state, that they also have FSA set.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  15:27:00  
Vince,

Everything seems to be set correctly. Now it seems to be working again. I haven't made any changes to the free shipping attribute in years. It appears to work sometimes, and other times not.

I have had some weird things going on with my site lately. The cart page will load without pulling the correct css sometimes. Other times, the product images in the cart are not clickable (even though they are set to be clickable). Now this problem with the free shipping working sometimes, and sometimes not.

I wonder if this is another instance of the cart page pulling from different css pages upon loading? I'm not sure if that would affect the free shipping though

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  01:13:47  
No, the css shouldn't affect free shipping at all. Is it maybe by address that this works / doesn't (maybe as different shipping choices are returned from the shipping server.) Problems are rarely as random as they seem and finding a way to reproduce them is a good first step to finding a cure.

Vince

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  04:15:51  
Vince,

I have a sneaking suspicion it will happen again. I didn't think the css would affect the free shipping. What made me curious is the line that appears at the bottom of the cart page which reads "You are $33 away from receiving free shipping". When the free shipping attribute isn't working, that line isn't showing either.

I thought that it may be a browser/cache problem. However I am having the issue on at least 3 different browsers and at least 2 different computers, at 2 different locations. I've tried clearing my cache from "the beginning of time" several times. I feel certain it isn't a cache issue. Especially since the problem exists on 2 different computers at two different locations.

The last time it stopped working, I signed into my customer account, then went back and added a new product to the cart. That is when the free shipping started to work again. I then logged out, left the website, re-loaded and added new products again. The free shipping seems to be working now (although temporarily I fear).

Another issue - I am not sure if it has anything to do with the cause of these issues or not. In my GWM account, I am suddenly receiving messages stating that my site is receiving traffic from http://usafleetsupply.com as well as https://www.usafleetsupply.com, and the issue should be fixed. I haven't seen this message in several years, as all of my pages were re-directed after I switched to https years ago. I'm not sure why I am receiving these messages but I am in the midst of sorting that out as well.

It definitely pays to check, and re-check your website - even when things are exactly the way you want them to be, and everything is working smoothly. Problems have a way of occurring when least expected, and without provocation. Thats my tip of the day.

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  11:39:29  
The problem is back! The discount text "Free Shipping on order of $100 or More" is still showing on the category and product pages, etc. The Shipping Estimate on the first cart page shows "Free". However when you get to the shipping carrier selection page, a shipping charge shows in the total. Sometimes there is an option to select another option from the carriers that shows "$0.00". However when selecting that, the page refreshes and there is a shipping charge attached.

The line "You are $... away from free shipping" line is gone again as well.

I have checked all my shipping methods and everything is the same as it has been for years. The problem just started a few weeks ago.

Weird!

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  12:41:52  
Hi 1234
Do you want to send me the site FTP login details to my email (vince AT ecommercetemplates DOT com) and I'll look into it.

Vince

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  14:12:04  
Thanks Vince,

I traveled to a different location to check the website on a completely different computer. I wanted to make sure it definitely wasn't a browser or cache issue. However the same error is occurring here at the alternate location. I don't have my FTP info with me at the moment, I will send that as soon as I return.

I appreciate it!

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2020 :  02:01:22  
Hi there
I tried on your site and I get the free shipping discount just fine so maybe it is to do with something that we are doing differently. Can you send me all the steps you take when testing this. if you are logged in for instance, the address you use and the product you use to test + quantity.

Vince

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/24/2020 :  07:27:35  
Thanks Vince,

Just before you logged in, the system started working again. It seems to be working this morning as well. I really thought it was a cache issue, but I visited a computer at a location where I've never been and the free shipping wasn't working. When I got home it was working again.

I get on the website several times/day and check out as a normal first time customer would (not logged in). Sometimes the errors occur and sometimes they don't. I will go to the site one time and the free shipping isn't working. I then visit the site an hour later or so, the same products are still in my cart...and the free shipping is working fine (with the same checkout info as the previous visit).

There is no particular product, or particular address that seems to create the error. I've tried several different shipping addresses and several different products. It is intermittent no matter what is in the cart or where it is shipping.

I currently have UPS Ground and USPS First Class Mail & Priority Mail set to FSA. As noted earlier, the first page in the shopping cart will estimate shipping as "Free". Then when I reach the carrier selection page, there is a shipping charge showing in the grand total. Sometimes (not all the time), there is an option to select UPS shipping at $0.00. However when I check that selection box, the screen refreshes and it shows a shipping charge (the $0.00 disappears).

The only thing I can really do at this point is post here when it goes haywire again. Then maybe someone can visit the site and see if it happens to them, and perhaps pin down the culprit.

Overall it hasn't affected my sales too much. I've had 2 customers (out of about 100) email and ask why they didn't receive free shipping when they should have. I would just like to resolve it for my own peace of mind more than anything.

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2020 :  09:56:33  
Hi again
I was having a look at the site and this time I didn't get the $xx away from free shipping so started investigating and it turns out the product I was testing with was exempt from free shipping. If all the items in the cart are free shipping exempt then apart from not getting free shipping, you don't get the banner. Could that have anything to do with this? Free shipping exempt products that is?

Vince

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/24/2020 :  13:38:13  
Vince,

Any product that weighs 10+ lbs doesn't qualify for the "free standard shipping" option. Unfortunately the error occurs when I add very small products that are not free shipping exempt, products that weigh just 0.01lbs. It is when I place a large amount of these small products in the shopping cart, totaling over $100 but not weighing enough to be free shipping exempt that the problem occurs (one of the ways, anyway).

I know it sounds almost impossible to pinpoint. It just seems to me that the cart page is pulling from different files files from time to time. I created a post a few weeks ago (before becoming aware of this issue) asking if it was possible that there were some older files on the server that the site might be pulling from. It just seemed that weird. The cart page had the appearance that it did a long time ago, using files that I didn't think existed anymore. That is when I thought it was a cache problem. But as I noted earlier, the problem has occurred on more than one computer (3) in more than one location (3). That then made me think it wasn't a cache problem. However Peter from Servelink ruled out any inclination that any old files exist on the server, or that the site could be pulling them.

It is definitely a head scratcher. But as I also noted earlier, it hasn't affected my sales so it isn't an urgent issue (yet).

I see there is a new updater. I will apply that over the weekend. If I continue to have the issue I will keep this thread updated.

I do appreciate your help

tgorski

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  13:15:28  
I am also having problems with the FREE SHIPPING discount ... I set it up yesterday and made sure that FSA was indicated ONLY for IA, IL, MN and WI, and it tested just fine.

Today the customer called and said that an order to CA also got FREE SHIPPING, then I noticed ANOTHER order from yesterday from Maryland.

I HAVE verified that FSA is also applied to the shipping methods, as indicated above.

Can I hope for a quick fix or should I turn off the FREE SHIPPING discount?

Tim Gorski

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  03:29:03  
Hi Tim
Sorry you are having problems and we do try to get these issues resolved asap, but it depends a bit what the problem is.
Have you tried recreating the conditions of this order? If so, do you get free shipping? Is it possible that this particular item they ordered for instance doesn't have shipping applied? This would be the first thing anyway to recreate exactly what they bought and the address, and see if it is possible to reproduce.

Vince

tgorski

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  09:08:51  
While we don't know how to fix it, and why it has anything to do with honoring FSA to select states, we noticed that when creating a NEW discount the default effect is Free Standard Shipping and the default SCOPE is Apply to individual products/categories ... then we complete the other fields and save (min amount=$25, start doay end tomorrow, applies to handling=yes) ... when we re-open the discount we find the SCOPE has changed to Applies Storewide to product totals ... BUT despite enabling FSA ONLY for USA and IA/IL/MN/WI AND FOR usps PRIORITY MAIL, all orders GET free shipping!

So we found that anomoly but still have the problem.

Tim Gorski

tgorski

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  09:23:03  
... and using PHP 7.1.7 ...

Tim Gorski

tgorski

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  12:27:09  
I did try your suggestions, Vince and only learned about that anomaly with the default scope ... the Free Shipping Discount was being given regardless of the actual state, so we had to turn off the discount.

Any ideas?

Tim Gorski

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2020 :  02:17:33  
Hi Tim
The scope of a Free Shipping discount is always storewide. It's not that it is changing so much as it is disabled and you will see that it is greyed out.
What do you have for "Restrict for Certain Countries"? That should really read "Restrict for Certain Countries / States" so might be the cause of the confusion.

Vince

« Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000