PHP (Unix / Linux / Apache) versions
 Product display variables
Author « Topic »  

Terry Paulhus
Ecommerce Template Expert

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  09:29:21  
Is it possible to explicit display all products by popularity, number of sales, average rating, etc.

Terry (Redsei)

Terry Paulhus

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  17:44:38  
Anybody else run into this need?

Terry (Redsei)

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  20:07:30  
You can use the product filter and customers can select the sort based on options you choose.
Would that work?

David

Terry Paulhus

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  20:10:54  
I was hoping that when someone comes to a page, it could show products based on popularity for instance.

Terry (Redsei)

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  20:47:09  
There is an "orsortby" option, but unless your pages are static, I do not see an easy way to make it a variable depending say on the category ID. That is not saying it is impossible, but it would require some PHP code in the head of your product page.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

Terry Paulhus

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  20:48:38  
PHP Code in the head would be totally fine.

Terry (Redsei)

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  22:42:59  
Ok, I have a posted tip on how to change a parameter for one product or category.
https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=100929

This will not work if you have the product filters in place because customers could override it.

Here is the list
quote:
Product listings (Minimum version 1.3.7 - Maximum Version 5.9.4)

Note
The sortBy parameters were moved to the admin main settings page in Version 6 but if you still need to set the product listing through the includes file you can use the $orsortby parameter. This is handy if you want to use them on static pages with a different listing. So if you want to sort the product listing alphabetically use $orsortby=1; Please note this setting also overrides the listing choices in the new product filter bar.

= sorting the products alphabetically
= sorting the products by id
= sorting the products by price (cheapest first)
= sorting the products by price (most expensive first)

So for example if you wanted to list your products alphabetically you would choose this option:
$orsortby = 1;
or by product id like this
$orsortby = 2;

$orsortby=5;
This will sort the products by the order the products are within the database. This is particularly useful where the sort order is not important and will result in the fastest way of displaying products.

$orsortby=6;
This will sort the products in ascending order depending on the value added to the "Product Order" box in the product admin page.

$orsortby=7;
This will sort the products in descending order depending on the value added to the "Product Order" box in the product admin page.

$orsortby=8;
This will sort the products in ascending order depending on the date added.

$orsortby=9;
This will sort the products in descending order depending on the date added.

$orsortby=13;
This will sort the products randomly (Version 6.6 required).

$orsortby=14;
This will sort the products in ascending order depending on the sku (Version 6.7 required)

$orsortby=15;
This will sort the products in descending order depending on the sku (Version 6.7 required)

Not on that list is
16 - Number of ratings
17 - Average Rating
18 - Sales Rank
19 - Popularity

So something like the following in your products.php page (just before the incproducts.php include line) should give you some results.

<?php
if($_GET["cat"] === "your-category-name]")
$orsortby=19;
?>

Of course replace the part in red with the name of your category as it shows in the address bar.

David

Edited by - dbdave on 03/28/2020 22:44:19

Terry Paulhus

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  07:15:07  
(coming from a non-programmer)

Dave,
so that I am understanding this right... all I need to do in my index.php page (for instance) is put this code

<?php
if($_GET["cat"] === "PHOTOS")
$orsortby=16;
?>

<?php include "vsadmin/inc/incproducts.php" ?>

and everything should work... or do I have to modify the includes as well?

Terry (Redsei)

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  08:33:47  
That would not work on your home (index) page because it's not a page where the "cat" querystring appears, so it would not work.
If it's your home page, then you should just use the crosssell feature.

https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/home-page-display.asp

Have you looked into that?

David

Terry Paulhus

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  08:36:02  
No... but I will look into that right now.

Terry (Redsei)

Terry Paulhus

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  09:10:06  
Tried it out and for the most part, just using for the best sellers and recommended will work... but requires manual input.

I get that for the recommended cause you are trying to sell what you want. For the best sellers will work but if you have just started out, and only sold one... then ONE will show up. (not too sure if you can control how many after you sell 100 different ones... if there is a cap on that?)

BUT

for the Popularity or Ratings... well that's what I'm really after.

QUESTION: You can't just can't add the "$orsortby=19" after a search query on the URL... or something like that eh?

Terry (Redsei)

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  09:38:30  
quote:
QUESTION: You can t just can t add the $orsortby=19 after a search query on the URL... or something like that eh?
You can put that just before the incproducts.php line as Dave pointed out... br / < ?php br / $orsortby=16 br / include vsadmin/inc/incproducts.php br / ?> br / br / The problem is this line.if $_GET[ cat" target="_blank">Hi Terry br /
quote:
QUESTION: You can t just can t add the $orsortby=19 after a search query on the URL... or something like that eh?
You can put that just before the incproducts.php line as Dave pointed out... br / < ?php br / $orsortby=16 br / include vsadmin/inc/incproducts.php br / ?> br / br / The problem is this line.
quote:
if $_GET[ cat
=== "PHOTOS")
That would require you have the "cat" parameter on the home page URL for instance...
yoursite.com/index.php?cat=PHOTOS
I'm not sure that is what you actually want to do. In any case, can you let me know how you are setting these pages up. For instance they may be static pages like...
mypopularitypage.php
mynumsalespage.php
Or a single page with a query string like...
mypage.php?sort=popularity
mypage.php?sort=numsales

Do you see what I mean? Hopefully I haven't confused things too much but once we know that we can let you know how to set it up.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

Terry Paulhus

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  09:45:19  
Ok, I often talk in riddles or not clearly enough so forgive me....

Here is what I am looking to do:

Someone comes to a page (index.php)

What they see is a section that shows products (12) that are based on popularity

then

they see is a section after that which shows products (6) that are best selling

then

they see is a final section that shows products (30) that are based on descending order

—this is all on one page (hopefully)

Terry (Redsei)
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000