Author « Topic »  

boier31571
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  07:05:39  
Is there a best practice for setting up a product like one dozen donuts where the customer can select 12 flavors from their options? It is a little different from the bundles, as the options would not be preset. Also it would be one overall product purchase, so the price would not increase nor the shipping weight, and preferably flavors options can change easily throughout the day as things sell out.
Thank you,

RBoie

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  08:23:17  
Hi, I think you should try the multiple purchase option feature - https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/product-options.asp

David

boier31571
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  11:34:21  
Hi David,

Thank you for your email and direction. When I use that option, it adds multiple products to my cart. For example, I end adding 10 green shirts, 2 red, ultimately adding 12 shirts to my cart.

My scenario is a little different, I want to have one product with a set price, ship weight, etc, but up to 12 different options. In the dozen donuts example, a customer can purchase 6 chocolate, 4 sprinkles and 2 honey glazed but only purchase one product Dozen Donuts for $2.99. Or they can purchase 1 of each flavor for the same one product Dozen Donuts at $2.99.

I can't tell if my set-up in incorrect or if I need a different solution?

Thanks again,

RBoie

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  13:39:28  
There is no built in feature that will allow a customer to choose exactly 12 of an option there.
You would need to explore a custom solution to achieve that.

If you don't want to get involved with any custom coding, then you could just use a text box and have the customers type them in. It's not the best solution, but it would prevent someone from choosing too many or too few.
You could just say, if no information is given for flavors, we will send all plain doughnuts for example.

David

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  14:54:59  
RBoie, Do you have a page you can share where you set this up? David's solution should work if you set the product at $2.99 and the options at zero dollars and zero weight difference.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  16:12:19  
I thought so too Marshall, but I tested it and you can see what happens here - https://www.floridasurpluswarehouse.com/dev/proddetail.php?prod=Doughnut

David

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  19:30:19  
There has to be a way for that to work. I will give it a try.

Marshall
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1179 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  05:14:12  
I've had a stab at this but only ended up with a halfway house kind of solution. This is how I've setup the donut product & it's options on my test domain. I've based it on a box of 12 with 4 donut options. Setting the product price to zero then in the options the first donut is priced at one twelfth of £2.99 with each one above that increasing accordingly.
https://alfchump.com/ectnatura/proddetail.php?prod=OneDozenDonuts

I've created a quick video on how far I've managed to get which shows that by adding various quantities of donut options increases the price accordingly. Choosing 3 each of the 4 options gives a box price of £2.99. https://alfchump.com/donuts

The issue with how this is setup is a customer could order up to 12 of each of the four options. The price would always be correct & I understand that in this instance it's not what Richard is trying to achieve.

I think to satisfy how Richard needs it to work is that once 12 has been reached, say for example selecting six from two of the four options, then the other two options are disabled from being selected thus leaving the customer with a box of 12 donuts @ £2.99. How that is achieved I shall leave with the more knowledgeable

Also, possibly the quantity box may not be needed in this case as it's a kind of bespoke selection. Whether or not there could be an option added in the product admin to uncheck a box to not show the quantity selector on a per product basis.

Steve
Manchester England

Remember - Any edits to the ectcart.css file will be overwritten by updater's. ALL edits to ectcart.css rules should be placed in your style.css file

Edited by - 1818charlie on 04/27/2020 05:23:34

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  05:49:15  
To enhance what Steve did, you could add this to you includes file
"By setting the switch . . .

(ASP) hideoptpricediffs=true
(PHP) $hideoptpricediffs=true;

. . . you can hide the price difference in the product option drop down menus and the checkout page. Only the total price will be shown."

Just a thought.

Marshall
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1179 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  05:53:03  
Good point - done

Steve
Manchester England

Remember - Any edits to the ectcart.css file will be overwritten by updater's. ALL edits to ectcart.css rules should be placed in your style.css file

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  09:25:57  
Wow Steve, I don't think I will sell nearly as many donuts as you. The frosting on yours looks much better.
I better get back in the kitchen and rework my recipes.

David

boier31571
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  18:31:27  
Thank you gentlemen!! This is a little beyond my ability, so I will have to do a bit of testing.

I also agree, those donuts looked delicious.

Thank you for the suggestions and support,
RBoie

Edited by - boier31571 on 04/30/2020 18:40:38
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000