ASP (Windows server) versions
 Product display jumbled after update
Author « Topic »  

Mark Piscitelli
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  10:06:09  
I recently installed the latest update and from what I can see uploaded all the folders and files. For some reason when you select a category the product display comes out jumbled. Some products display with the name on the left and picture on the right; the picture of one product displaying to the right of the drop down options from the previous product above - very confusing. Any idea what I may have done wrong? There's only a dozen or so products on the site - www.marradind.com.

Mark

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10291 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  10:41:24  
Hi Mark, I seems to be just an issue with some products having (lengthy) options and others none at all.
Personally, if it were my site, I would remove the options and add to cart from the products page display, and force the customer to the product details pages where you have detailed descriptions that the customer will want to see to make an informed purchase.

You can change what shows on the products page by adding or removing elements from the list in your includes.

productpagelayout="productimage, addtocart, productid, sku, productname, manufacturer, discounts, reviewstars, instock, custom1, description, options, listprice, price, currency, quantity, dateadded, custom2"

Alternately, you can make some changes to the css there if you want to continue to have the options and buy button there on the products page.
But first, I noticed in your code, you have the ectcart.css file called after your sites stylesheet. You want to reverse those so your sites stylesheet takes precedence over the ectcart.css file.
It must be called last for that to happen.

You have this -
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" />
<link href="css/ectcart.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Change to this -
<link href="css/ectcart.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" />

Now any changes to you make to the store css will go in your style.css file and not get overwritten in the future when you update the ectcart.css file.

Thanks,
David

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  10:43:47  
Hi Mark
Is it possible this site wasn't using the CSS Layouts previously? These are now the default but try adding this to the includes.asp file to see if it helps. If it doesn't help, take it out again...

usecsslayout=FALSE

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

Mark Piscitelli
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  12:16:04  
Thank you. I changed the order of the lines in the project.dwt file David mentioned and added the productpagelayout line to the includes.asp file as it was not there. Much less cluttered now.

Mark Piscitelli
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  12:32:31  
I noticed on my Ipad the 8 products in the "Corvette" category show up in one column, one item per row. On my windows laptops there are 2 items in some rows, 3 in others. Where would you adjust or limit the number of columns that display? Is it the project.dwt file that needs to be modified as described below?

The incectstyle file
By adding the incectstyle.asp / incectstyle.php include line all the necessary style sheets are included automatically for the category, product, product detail and quick buy layouts. There are a few important issues to bear in mind with regards to the placement of this include line...

The incectstyle include file should come after the includes.asp / includes.php file so that it can be controlled via entries in your includes.asp/php file.
You want to remove any existing ectcart.css and ectcart.js references as these will automatically be included by the new system.
You want the site style sheet to come last. This is so that you can add any tweaks to this file if you want to override the style.

My project.dwt currently reads as below.

<link href="../css/ectcart.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../style.css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/ectcart.js"></script>
</head>
<!--#include file="vsadmin/db_conn_open.asp"-->
<!--#include file="vsadmin/inc/languagefile.asp"-->
<!--#include file="vsadmin/includes.asp"-->
<!--#include file="vsadmin/inc/incfunctions.asp"-->

How should it read? Something like below?

</head>
<!--#include file="vsadmin/incectstyle.asp"-->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../style.css" />

Edited by - Mark Piscitelli on 02/07/2021 15:07:08

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1875 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  20:14:27  
<!--#include file="vsadmin/inc/metainfo.php" --> I only placed this here for reference in case you plan on using it
<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/ectcart.js"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../css/ectcart.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../style.css">
</head>

I noticed the ectcart.css and style.css have different paths. Is that correct?

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

Edited by - Marshall on 02/07/2021 20:18:53

Mark Piscitelli
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  06:24:17  
Yes, that is correct. My style.css file is in the main folder, not the css subfolder. I'm guessing it should be in css folder? It also has a 7/26/2012 date. Did I miss any updates on that?

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1875 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  08:29:44  
quote:
It also has a 7/26/2012 date. Did I miss any updates on that?
Since I do not use it, I cannot say. But I would presume there would be an newer one in the updates in the CSS folder.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  09:25:38  
quote:
But I would presume there would be an newer one in the updates in the CSS folder.
This file isn't part of the updater so there are no newer versions. And at one time some of the css files were in the root but in the templates now they've all been moved to the /css/ folder. But if yours is in the root it's fine and you don't have to move it.

Vince

Mark Piscitelli
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  10:39:18  
So I would need to add the incectstyle.asp line to my project.dwt file and then whichever layout design works best below to the includes.asp file?

ectqbuystyle=(1,2,3)
ectproductstyle=(1,2,3)
ectdetailstyle=(1,2,3)
categorycolumns=2?
productcolumns=3?

And on the current includes.asp file, would references to "useproductbodyformat=1", "usedetailbodyformat=1", "usecategoryformat=1", "productcolumns=2" still remain or are the references above replacing them?

sortBy = 1
pathtossl = "https://secure14.servelink.com/marradind/"
taxShipping=0
pagebarattop=0
productcolumns=2
useaspuploadforimages=TRUE
useproductbodyformat=1
usesearchbodyformat=1
usedetailbodyformat=1
enableclientlogin=TRUE
useemailfriend=true
nobuyorcheckout=false
noprice=false
sqlserver=false
usecategoryformat=1
allproductsimage=""
showtaxinclusive=false
upspickuptype="03"
overridecurrency=false
orcsymbol="US$"
orcemailsymbol="US$"
orcdecplaces=2
orcpreamount=true
encryptmethod="aspencrypt"
showcategories=true
termsandconditions=false
nomarkup=TRUE
taxShipping=0
enablecustomerratings=TRUE
crosssellaction="related"
xxDonat="Direct Payment"
xxMakDon="Make A Direct Payment"
donationid="payments"
productpagelayout="productimage, productid, productname, reviewstars, instock, custom1, description, price, currency, custom2"

Edited by - Mark Piscitelli on 02/08/2021 11:29:41

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  23:14:19  
quote:
And on the current includes.asp file, would references to "useproductbodyformat=1", "usedetailbodyformat=1", "usecategoryformat=1", "productcolumns=2" still remain or are the references above replacing them?
These were only used with the old non-CSS layouts so they are redundant now.
quote:
overridecurrency=false
orcsymbol="US$"
orcemailsymbol="US$"
orcdecplaces=2
orcpreamount=true
This is all set in admin now so these too don't actually do anything either.

Vince

Mark Piscitelli
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  08:46:14  
I made changes to project.dwt and includes.asp. Things look much better now and I have some new buttons. However, the one that says "ask a question" actually opens an "email a friend" box. Any idea what went wrong?

And where are the "Like", "Share", "In Share", "Tweet" and "Ask A Question" buttons being generated from?

Edited by - Mark Piscitelli on 02/09/2021 10:00:16

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  11:16:06  
quote:
However, the one that says "ask a question" actually opens an "email a friend" box. Any idea what went wrong?
Did you update the /emailfriend.asp file in the root of the updater?
quote:
And where are the "Like", "Share", "In Share", "Tweet" and "Ask A Question" buttons being generated from?
These are generated by the companies themselves. For instance, the Twitter button will be generated by code from Twitter themselves.

Vince

Mark Piscitelli
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  13:27:16  
Yes, I did update emailfriend.asp. I just figured it out. There was no useaskaquestion=true line in the includes.asp file as none of these features were being used before. I just added it.
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000