Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View our YouTube channel
Search our site
Author « Topic »  

Terry Paulhus
Ecommerce Template Expert

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2021 :  07:24:46  
I ran out of room on my hosting server. I have too many products at a large size. So for the digidownloads part can I have it access files outside from another server?

Terry (Redsei)

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1180 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2021 :  12:31:46  
When you say you have run out of room how much hosting space does the account have? Firstly I would be looking at things like very large image file sizes as many sites I work on their image file sizes are massive which then results in having to optimise the images (trim them down in file size). That's not just to use server space economically but mainly for optimal site performance / bandwidth usage.

Is your site ASP or PHP? I do know that with the PHP version that you can specify for instance files outside your website root for instance . . .
/your/path/to/yourfile.zip - I don't think that's the case though on ASP, I may be wrong

Steve
Bolton Lancashire

Edited by - 1818charlie on 06/17/2021 12:39:39

Terry Paulhus
Ecommerce Template Expert

Canada
543 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2021 :  12:55:32  
I have a myriad of different types of images and digital assets. Currently I have over 14,000 images. Some are PNG at 20"x20" full color. So they can run quite high. My small/medium and large images are optimized and are quite low. My hosting, at one time, sold me on unlimited, but over the years have changed and now I only have 200 gigs.

I thought of storing the .zip files on my own ftp server.

Terry (Redsei)

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2021 :  00:43:04  
Hi Terry
You could have files on another server but what you couldn't do then is have the download "secure" in any way. All you could have would be an HTTP link which would be available to anyone.
But 200 gigs is a lot of data. There is an "Unreferenced Image" option in the Database Utility part of the admin which may help. But maybe there are other ways of reducing the amount of data?

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000