PHP (Unix / Linux / Apache) versions
 Connecting digidownloads to another server
Author « Topic »  

Terry Paulhus
Ecommerce Template Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2021 :  19:06:23  
I ran out of room on my hosting server. I have too many products at a large size. So for the digidownloads part can I have it access files outside from another server?

Terry (Redsei)

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2021 :  00:44:06  
Hi Terry
You could have files on another server but what you couldn't do then is have the download "secure" in any way. All you could have would be an HTTP link which would be available to anyone.
But 200 gigs is a lot of data. There is an "Unreferenced Image" option in the Database Utility part of the admin which may help. But maybe there are other ways of reducing the amount of data?

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

Terry Paulhus

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2021 :  07:34:25  
Well reducing the images is not an option as I want to grow that as well. Another option is to find a new way of hosting these images without killing the pocket book. I think the best solution is to have it the way ecommercetemplates has it setup now, but I need more room. I had hoped to sell videos as well, and that is way more storage.

Vince do you know of a hosting solution or possibly another way around this that would allow files to be stored and referenced possibly by a temporary link?

I mean I would just store everything on my side and MANUALLY fill the orders as they come in but I was hoping for a more automated system.

Terry (Redsei)

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10242 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2021 :  09:39:33  
Get an Amazon S3 account and move your large images there and serve them from there.
That's what I would do.
David

Terry Paulhus

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2021 :  09:43:52  
Yeah I thought about that... so Dave, when they are up there it gives you a link that works with the store?

Terry (Redsei)

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10242 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2021 :  10:18:33  
You can set your S3 bucket to public and then just link to your images there instead of your current server.
I would continue to serve my digital download from your own server, but put those really large 20 x 20 images on S3 perhaps.

For over a year now, I host my site and others on Amazon EC2 and I absolutely love being my own host.
No hateful support to deal with - pointing fingers and failing to accept responsibility over and over.
I'm done giving money to rude hosting companies!

If I need another 10g in space, I can add it in about 2 minutes and it cost just a few bucks a month additional and I can keep adding more and more as needed.

David

Terry Paulhus

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2021 :  08:23:51  
So David, I have done what you said and it seems everything is working but I have one big question.

This link is available to everyone out there. Is there a way to protect this so that the only way you can have this link usable is through the store? What's stopping someone from copying the link to someone else....?

Terry (Redsei)

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10242 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2021 :  08:39:53  
Hi Terry, sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your message.
What files have you moved to S3?
is it product images?
Or maybe you put your digitialdownload files there?

David

Terry Paulhus

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2021 :  09:56:13  
I have put some of the larger files up there. I have collections that contain sometimes 1000 images, zipped together. I tried the package feature but found it was crazy at the cart section where it would list all of those, so I have been zipping all of those together. Makes for larger files for sure.

Again, though, my worry is that link is visible and open to the world.

Terry (Redsei)

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10242 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2021 :  10:56:40  
Have you considered putting your product images on S3 and leaving your digital download items on your own server?
Another option, you may be able to go into S3 and only allow access from a specific server, or something along those lines.

David

Edited by - dbdave on 06/19/2021 10:57:58

Terry Paulhus

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2021 :  11:16:24  
Yes from a specific server would be the way to do it. You haven’t done that though?

Terry (Redsei)

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10242 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2021 :  16:28:19  
Hi Terry, no. I use S3 for backup storage of some of my local systems (NAS, etc..)

I do know that EC2 has many tools for granting access, and I am guessing that S3 does too. You might have to poke around in there.
I am in the middle of some projects, but I can have a look at some point...

David
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000