Suggestions - NOT QUESTIONS
 Plural / Singular Search Terms
Author « Topic »  

RJB
Ecommerce Template Expert

United Kingdom
777 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2021 :  14:40:11  
I am often contacted by customers who are unable to find items using the website search function due to entering plural search terms such as 'doors' or 'carpets' which produce no results rather than 'door' or 'carpet' which would produce lots of relevant results. I am aware that it is possible to enter additional search terms for individual products, but it would be useful if the search function could show matches where the extra 's' is entered.

Richard.

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10277 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2021 :  18:06:47  
Great suggestion..
Perhaps setting a parameter to activate so folks who do not want it.

David

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2021 :  04:11:55  
This seems like quite an important issue and I've got it working now in the PHP version for the regular search results. I'll start on the ASP version now but in the meantime, does anyone think this would be necessary in the Progressing Search? The reason I ask is that if you are typing and getting results, then type a final "s" and the results disappear, it should be quite obvious that the solution is to remove the last character, no?

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

RJB

United Kingdom
777 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2021 :  05:47:27  
That's good news.. I think the people having this problem probably just enter their search query without looking at the progressing search results. So providing the 'S' is ignored when generating the actual search results I don't think it would be necessary to update the progressing search results which appear as they are typing.

Thanks,

Richard.

RJB

United Kingdom
777 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2021 :  06:01:13  
Thinking about this, there are other plural suffixes such as 'es', but I imagine it would be very difficult to allow for all of them. I think the 's' is probably the most common one so hopefully this will work in most instances.

Richard

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2021 :  04:01:36  
Hi all
The changes are now available in the v7.4 updater. You will need the files...
vsadmin/inc/incsearch.asp/php
vsadmin/ajaxservice.asp/php

Yes Richard, I think that trying to account for all plural forms would be a minefield, but hopefully with this change it will catch 90% of them.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

RJB

United Kingdom
777 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2021 :  16:28:16  
Hi Vince, Thanks for the update!

Richard.
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000