ASP (Windows server) versions
 clientlogin.asp?mode=lostpassword SPAM ATTEMPTS
Author « Topic »  

Makc
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2022 :  13:05:31  
I am running ASP version 7.3.8 and someone is running a bot on the /clientlogin.asp?mode=lostpassword page to send hundreds of messages out - they are trying to figure out how to spam using this function.

I use O365, and it simply shuts down the ability to send outbound mail when it detects these spam attempts...

At this time there is no option to add/use recaptcha on the lostpassword page - is it possible to add it?

Please let me know if there is any other way to prevent this from happening.

Edited by - Makc on 03/13/2022 13:07:42

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2022 :  06:15:11  
Hi Makc
The Lost Password feature is integrated into the Flood Control system so if a customer has made a request for a lost password they wouldn't be able to do the same again for quite a few minutes. Is the problem that they are sending emails out slowly over a period of days?

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

Makc
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2022 :  10:43:36  
No, they are trying to send several per minute...

Makc
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2022 :  07:22:39  
Vince, any update or a word of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2022 :  16:30:30  
Hi Makc
I got your email and I asked you if it were possible to see the IP Address of the Lost Password message send attempts but I never heard back from you about that. They seem to be bypassing the Flood Control so I'm just trying to find out how this is happening.

Vince

Makc
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2022 :  16:47:17  
Somehow your second email did not get to me…

I did forward you the original bounce back message, but I believe since it is technically a “click” on the website that triggers the email to be sent by the server, it would be very difficult to find the actual IP address of the predator.

Is there a way to somehow add reCAPTCHA, like it is on other areas of the website? That would probably stop it for good.

Thx,
Max

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2022 :  05:04:49  
Hi Max
It's a good point really so I've added reCAPTCHA to the lost password. It will enable if you have the New Account reCAPTCHA enabled. The changes are in the file...
vsadmin/inc/incclientlogin.asp
The changes are only in the v7.5 updater but you can use the incclientlogin.asp with v7.4 no problem.

Vince

Makc
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2022 :  06:25:15  
Thank You, Vince!

I upgraded to 7.4.8 and used the vsadmin/inc/incclientlogin.asp file from 7.5.0 updater - everything seems to function properly and the recaptcha on the lostpassword page is displaying!!! Thank You SO MUCH!!!

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2022 :  11:38:26  
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000