Suggestions - NOT QUESTIONS
 Custom changes to Administration Panel Language
Author « Topic »  

ITZAP
Ecommerce Template Guru

Australia
1010 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2023 :  21:47:27  
I would like to suggest a simple method we can use to override the Ecommerce Templates Administration Panel Language variables defined in the file "vsadmin\inc\languageadmin.php" (or asp)

WHY ?
I teach clients who have absolutely no previous Webmaster experience how to enter Products and Articles into the ECT Content Management System. Feedback I get is that some of the current Field Labels are perhaps a little vague and their purpose could be more clearly explained. Here are a few examples:

> Amateurs may not understand "Section", but they will instantly understand "Menu Category".
> "Prod Name" can be better described as "Page Title and H1 Heading".
> "Description" is better described as "Short Meta Description for Search Engines".
> and "Long Description" better labelled as "Page Content".

My list of languageadmin-custom changes can be viewed here >>

By editing the "languageadmin.php" file upon each update using Beyond Compare (painful method not recommended) the amended Product and Article Administration page looks like this:

View a Fullscreen Image >>

HOW ?
Overrides to the Back End Admin Panel variables defined in the file "vsadmin\inc\languageadmin.php" (or asp) could be entered into the "vsadmin\includes.php" (or asp) website configuration file in exactly the same way we can alter the Front End language defined in "vsadmin\inc\languagefile_en.php"

All the Admin Panel files in the "vsadmin" folder load the content management system files in this order:

session_cache_limiter('none');
session_start();
ob_start();
include 'db_conn_open.php';
include 'includes.php';
include 'inc/languageadmin.php';
include 'inc/incfunctions.php';
include 'inc/incloginfunctions.php';

But change all Admin Panel files so as "includes.php" loads AFTER "languageadmin.php" like:

session_cache_limiter('none');
session_start();
ob_start();
include 'db_conn_open.php';
include 'inc/languageadmin.php';
include 'includes.php';
include 'inc/incfunctions.php';
include 'inc/incloginfunctions.php';

And there is the simple solution to make this Administration Panel Language variable overrides suggestion work ... without being overwritten by the next Updater; tested and confirmed.

However, I do not know how this affects multi-language websites.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S:
It would also be desirable to make the Label "Search Words" editable, because that is so often interpreted as "Keywords"; wrong, wrong.
Same for the Labels "Page Title Tag" and "Meta Description" which need to be editable so as to include the word "Override".

So there it is. Admin Panel Language changes have already helped my clients. Ecommerce Templates is not just about Products any longer.
Please do comment as to whether this suggestion is something you might find useful.

Regards, Gary

Edited by - ITZAP on 03/31/2023 21:54:06

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10282 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2023 :  06:59:17  
quote:
But change all Admin Panel files so as "includes.php" loads AFTER "languageadmin.php" like:

Yes, please....
I ran into this recently too.
Customers complaining that receipt does not say "Invoice"
It would be nice to not have to fix that in the admin on each update.

Thanks,
David
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000