Main.dwt in Expression Web
Author « Topic »  

Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  07:06:49  
My first attempt at using Microsoft Expression Web and I can't get past the first task. I'm following the instructions per the ECT website, attempting to update the Main.dwt file.

I made sure my Publishing Settings and Site Settings included checking the box "Maintain the site using hidden metadata files". However, when making changes to the main.dwt file, the rest of the pages do not update. I'm making global changes - company logo, copyright date, etc. so the other pages should update.

I then moved the main.dwt file from the Template folder to my root folder. I made changes again and still nothing happens. I've tried several times to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  07:30:45  
Hi

Rather than moving the Template folder, can you just move the dwt file to the store root, agreeing to update paths if prompted?

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  13:06:59  
Andy,

That's what I did. I just moved the dwt file to the root folder (not the template folder). I did not receive any prompts and after editing and saving, the dwt file is the only page changed/saved.

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  13:32:17  
Hi Tim, in EW can you try hitting the re-caluclate links feature and see if that makes a difference:
To recalculate hyperlinks

With your website open, on the Site menu, click Recalculate Hyperlinks.

In the Recalculate Hyperlinks dialog box, click Yes. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/visualstudio/design-tools/expression-studio-3/cc295583(v=expression.10)

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  16:52:07  
Tried recalculating hyperlinks - still nothing. I'm using Expression Web 4, the Recalculate Hyperlinks is under the Tools tab. I've tried everything I can think of. I reloaded the entire template to a folder on my Desktop (I'm using a brand new HP Pavilion desktop). The Main.dwt was still not making changes globally, so I moved the file to my root folder again. The Main.dwt file still does not make any changes to any other pages when saved.

I suppose I could just edit each page individually but there are many global components throughout the site, I'd rather not do that.

Any other suggestions?

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  17:11:36  
Take a look at the pages that are connected to the .dwt and see if they have something like this at the top:
!-- #BeginTemplate "folder/template.dwt" -->

Also, in the grey area above the scroll bar on the right in code view, does it have a hyperlink matching the tag above:
folder/template.dwt

And ALWAYS save any changes in code view as Expression Web has some quirks when saving in design view.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  17:23:35  
You got it Marshall!

The Main.dwt was not making global changes while in the Template folder, so I moved it to my root folder. However, the links were still pointing to !-- #BeginTemplate "template/main.dwt" -->. I edited that line to !-- #BeginTemplate "main.dwt" --> and all is well now.

Thanks to all. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  18:41:15  
Glad I could help. Been using EW for years and have learned a few tricks, as well as its quirks.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000