TJM
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  12:36:11  
Hello

Is it possible to have an extra input on the product admin page against each product to designate where the item is stored in the stockroom for ease of picking?

Many thanks.
Tim

Tim Jones
TJ Motorsport
https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7625 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  05:08:17  
Hi Tim,
You could use one of the custom fields by adding it to your product detail layout - https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/css-layouts.asp#proddetailorder
Then hide it with css so it doesn't display on the front end - div.detailcustom1{display:none;}
And label it in the admin by adding $admincustomlabel1="Stock Location"; to your vsadmin/includes.php file

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

TJM
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  13:10:13  
Thank you Phil, will try.

Regards
Tim

Tim Jones
TJ Motorsport
https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk

John M
Advanced Member

457 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  01:06:03  
We use custom field3 for the Bin location number however it is absolutely no substitute to having this built in as standard since we have to keep modifying the admin orders page and the packing slips for each release.

It really is quite a basic requirement that has been missing for a long time.

John

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  23:32:07  
I don't know about this being a requirement for a 'web store'. Most people that have that have enough sales and inventory to require that sort of requirement use real accounting software. Accounting software includes inventory management & tracking, FIFO cost tracking, Purchase Order creation, etc. This software creates invoices and packing slips which include stock room location as well as complete accounting reports to facilitate income taxes at the end of the year.
I honestly can't figure out how people with large enough inventory can't function without this sort of software.

Now if only I can find some sort of software to locate inventory when one of my employees doesn't put it back in the right place.

John M
Advanced Member

457 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  13:55:17  
Ed. Accounting software is very proprietary and country specific so despite all the bells and whistles touted it is very unlikely to be an applicable solution for everyone. Besides it is completely irrelevant talking about other software when this forum is about ECT software and suggestions on how to improve it or provide even greater value.

John

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  19:00:28  
I don't think it's irrelevant at all.

Sure - you can suggest things all you want. But you have to remember that this is < $200 software. If you want extravagant software with inventory locating and a myriad of things that people 'want', be prepared to pay far more.

BTW - there is nothing country specific about the inventory software that I use. I'm in the US but the software I use is from a UK company. The only thing country specific about this is the language (which can be purchased in other languages).
Proprietary, sure... but so is this ECT.
No other accounting software can use my accounting database without heavy modification. Likewise, no other website software that I know of can use the ECT database entries without heavy modification.
Looking at the original poster's website - he has lots of inventory listed and looks like an ideal candidate for accounting software. Doing what the original poster asked for is extremely easy using accounting software. It keeps track of P/N, UPC/SKU, price (with many pricing levels), unit cost at the FIFO level, etc -- including stocking location. Any or all can be placed on invoice and/or packing list.

Phil had the best idea for this. If doing this with ECT, easy to create a custom field - I use them. Not sure why you would need to revise the admin orders page with each update. I have never needed to do this. The custom fields remain from version to version (unless you aren't using a separate CSS file).

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10290 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  20:37:33  
We developed (with some paid help) a separate app that's connected to our store. It has locations and creates a custom pick ticket for orders.
We actually sort the output by location so the warehouse order pickers go up and down the isles in the warehouse without backtracking.

While it might be nice to have a place for locations in the admin, it's actually a bit more involved as to what users might want to do with that info.
I suppose you might just print it on the packing slip, but then others will want to do more with it.
I tend to agree that some of these extras might be nice to have, but we also don't want our shopping cart provider to move focus away from what it does best.
I think if your store is busy enough to need some of these extras, then the cart is very friendly to modifications and additions. It's quite flexible.

If I were to show some of you the things we are doing, with automation and customizations, it would probably blow most of you away.
My cart is not that heavily hacked up either. Many of our changes are friendly to the stock coding and just require a few simple include lines.

I'm sure if enough people here ask for a location in the admin, then ect will give it fair consideration, just like they always do.
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000