Off topic, News and Updates
 Does href="#top" go where you expect?
Author « Topic »  

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  23:09:56  
Before you say 'Marshall, you did not know this?' I will preface what I am about to relate with 4 things.
1- I have been designing websites for nearly 20 years, so I am not a novice.
2 - I mentioned in Tips & Tricks about a quirk with Expression Web if you use <base href="yourdomain">.
3 - I test most things offline.
4 - I generally use a script for the <a href="#top'>Top</a> so it scrolls to the top rather than jump.
That all said...

I discovered if you have a <base href="yourdomain"> in you page and you have any bookmarks in the page like Top of Page or on a FAQ page bookmarks to different topics, if you simply have <a href="#top">Top</a>, odds are it is going to take you to the base page and not the spot in your page. I mention this as, like me, you might not be aware of this possibility. Unfortunately, the base href is becoming increasingly necessary, especially if you have sub directories in your site.

Your options are eliminate the base href is possible or use absolute URLs in bookmarks. Regardless, I thought it was worth mentioning as this could cause confusion for your visitors.

Live and learn, live and learn.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000