Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View our YouTube channel
Search our site
 All Forums
 General
 Design issues
 How to *Lower* a Product Detail Page Google Rank?
Author « Topic »  

pauld
Advanced Member

USA
460 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  05:40:05  
Hi, for months our ECT store has been selling newer versions of our products that give users better results.

However we've needed to keep the old products available for those few customers who still need them.

Despite our making the old ECT product detail pages difficult for human visitors to find, for some reason Google continues to move the old product pages up in its rankings, so that those old product pages now appear first when you search our brand name. We speculate that this could be because of the greater number of ECT product reviews on those old product detail pages.

As a result, we're getting too many orders for those end-of-life products that don't work as well.

Short of playing radical SEO games (like malicious keyword stuffing on the old pages) or blocking the pages with robots.txt (which I suspect could have unintended bad consequences), can anyone suggest a safe, reversible way to lower the ranking of those few old product detail pages?

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7622 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:15:03  
Hi Paul,
Can you not add custom redirects from the old product listings to the new?

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:48:40  
Hi Paul

I was thinking similarly or putting links in the description to alternative models. I mean if the products are performing well in the results it would be a shame not to to try and get some mileage from them.

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

pauld
Advanced Member

USA
460 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  07:38:18  
Since we don't want to remove those old products yet, I suppose you're right that our best option might be to add text and a link on the old product detail pages, explaining why the new products are better.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  07:50:38  
I think that's the way to go, would be a shame to lose a page that already ranks even if it isn't the page you want to be featured.

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.01 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000