TJM
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  03:15:22  
Good morning all

Is there anyway to have the progressive search work in my search section at the top of my pages as well as the actual search.php page?

Many thanks in advance.
Tim

Tim Jones
TJ Motorsport
https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  03:30:51  
Hi Tim
Yes there is, just have a look at the second post here...
https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111791

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7625 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  04:19:43  
Hi Tim,

Just change the following below in your main.dwt file from

<form method="post" action="../search.php">
<input type="hidden" name="posted" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="nobox" value="true">
<input type="text" class="search_input" name="stext" id="SearchProducts" placeholder="Search Products">
<input class="btnSearch" type="submit" value="Search">
</form>

to

<form method="post" action="../search.php" id="ecttextform">
<input type="hidden" name="nobox" value="true">
<input type="hidden" name="posted" value="1">
<div style="position:relative">
<input type="text" maxlength="128" class="search_input" value="" name="stext" id="ecttext" onkeydown="return ectAutoSrchKeydown(this,event,'php')" onblur="ectAutoHideCombo(this)" autocomplete="off" />
</div>
<div class="autosearch" style="position:absolute;display:none" id="selectecttext"></div>
<input class="btnSearch" type="submit" value="Search">
</form>

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

TJM
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  12:16:30  
Thank you again Vince and Phil, much appreciated.
Regards
Tim

Tim Jones
TJ Motorsport
https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk

steven vaccaro
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  10:19:17  

im running 7.14 and trying to get better search results for both the top search box and search.php.

Ive started playing with this and tried to enter $maxautosearch=5 to check results and for some reason the results have not been reduced to 5.
Can I have done something incorrectly?

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  12:09:41  
The parameter looks correct. Did you upload the edited includes.php file to the correct location?

Vince

steven vaccaro
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  12:36:06  
Vince I added it to both my normal vsadmin and the hidden admin folder in the includes.

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  12:43:06  
Ahhh, could it be that you are getting up to 9 results? The thing is, if there are not maxautosearch results from matches on the product id / name then a further 5 results are taken from matches on the product descriptions.

Vince

steven vaccaro
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  12:45:47  
Vince just so Im understanding this correctly. When I search with a$maxautosearch=5 set. Should only 5 products be shown in the search? If thats the case, its not working for me.

Also the reason I started this was the search does some weird things. For example, when I do this search for "anti"

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/search.php?pg=1&stext=anti&sprice=&stype=&scat=&sortby=6&sfil0=&x=0&y=0

The first product that shows up is this product, ama-390050 and Im not sure why? There is no "anti" in the text
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ama-390050

steven vaccaro
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  12:52:17  
"Ahhh, could it be that you are getting up to 9 results? The thing is, if there are not maxautosearch results from matches on the product id / name then a further 5 results are taken from matches on the product descriptions."

32 items show up.

If I do the search for "anti", doing the anti search, the items with "anti" in the product title dont show up until the 5th product.

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  13:06:56  
quote:
Also the reason I started this was the search does some weird things. For example, when I do this search for "anti"

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/search.php?pg=1&stext=anti&sprice=&stype=&scat=&sortby=6&sfil0=&x=0&y=0

The first product that shows up is this product, ama-390050 and Im not sure why? There is no "anti" in the text
The reason that product shows up is because it has "antique" in the product description.

The way the search works on the search page is first the product name / id is searched and these will be the most relevant results. If there are not enough results to fill the page then the description is searched. But, the results for the first pages of results are then sorted as per the sort order. It's kind of guaranteeing that the more relevant results will show up on the first page but not necessarily in first position of that page.

Vince

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  13:08:33  
quote:
32 items show up.
For this, if you type an "a" in the search for box, then 5 results are displayed in a drop down menu. This is the progressive search and this is what the parameter is for. You are looking at the search results.

Vince

steven vaccaro
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  13:45:01  
In my example of "anti", there are 14 items with "anti" in the prod id. But those items do not show up first. And thats why I'm confused. Shouldn't those 14 be enough to fill the page and not display, and not have to then search the description for the random text?

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10292 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  14:23:40  
Hi Steven, you can stop the search from looking in the long description with the parameter

$nosearchlongdescription=TRUE;

quote:
Streamlining search

If you have a very large database and the search feature is running slow you can use the following entries to disable search on certain criteria...

$nosearchdescription=TRUE;

$nosearchlongdescription=TRUE;

$nosearchsku=TRUE;

$nosearchparams=TRUE;

steven vaccaro
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  16:17:10  
Thanks Dave, Ill keep that in mind.

But shouldn't the search hit the product id first?

For example, I do a search for ose-80050, which is a product id, and the product is the last item on the search page. why would that be?

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  00:06:39  
Hi Steven
I kind of covered that here...
quote:
The way the search works on the search page is first the product name / id is searched and these will be the most relevant results. If there are not enough results to fill the page then the description is searched. But, the results for the first pages of results are then sorted as per the sort order. It's kind of guaranteeing that the more relevant results will show up on the first page but not necessarily in first position of that page.
In this case it does seem a bit bad luck where the product id match is the very last one to display but that would be because of the sort order you have set.

Vince

steven vaccaro
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1009 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  06:10:28  
Vince Im sorry to be a hard head about this, but Im trying to figure it out and why.

I can understand about the ose-80085 item, there are very few items with that in the pro id or text.

But what about the "anti-" search, there are 14 items with anti in the prod id. I thought the $maxautosearch=5 would reduce the searches and only the items with the "anti-" in the pro id would show up? What am I missing?

Vince
Administrator

42488 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  07:20:29  
The progressive search is just the drop down that gets populated progressively while you are typing in the search box. It has nothing at all to do with the results that are generated once you it "Search". However, if you typed "ose-80050" then the one item in that dropdown would be "Inline Catamaran Strut and Rudder System". If you used that for your search query then only 3 items appear, one of which is the actual "ose-80050" item. So that is the reason the progressive search is so helpful for searching.

Vince

steven vaccaro
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1009 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  09:38:26  
Thanks! That clears it up.
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000