Author « Topic »  

sparksm
Advanced Member

125 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  10:43:39  
To the best of my knowledge I have:
- On all my pages: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" > in the header
- emailencoding="utf-8" in my includes file
- adminencoding="utf-8" in my includes file

Since I last updated (about 2 months ago), I've been seeing characters encoded in the wrong charset. In emails, I'll get stuff like ’ instead of ' and in reviews I'll find the black diamond question mark #65533;

Before the update I did not have this issue. Where else should I be looking at the charset to fix the issue?

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  11:49:25  
Hi I'm curious what email client you use.
I use Thunderbird, and I see a few special characters in some emails, in some views. But this seems to be a Thunderbird issue to me.

Remember, you can check your charset with a quick view source in your browser.

David

sparksm
Advanced Member

125 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  12:00:21  
We use Smartermail but:
1) We haven't changed anything with our email client. The is only started happening after an ECT update.
2) This issue isn't exclusive to email. As I mentioned, I'm also seeing problems in reviews.
3) When viewing the email in browser and using view source, it shows <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> and no other charset.

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  12:10:02  
Can you reproduce this but entering for instance the ' character in a review?

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

sparksm
Advanced Member

125 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  12:45:02  
Vince, I cannot. The issue with the reviews I've noticed were placed before I updated the version. Its as-if when I applied the update that it changed something in the db. I have since gone back and edited the reviews to correct the errors to make it less of an eyesore.

The order email issue still persists though. I get a few a week (and had one just a couple hours ago) where someone enters an apostrophe or something else in their name or in the comment section and that'll come through with the wrong encoding.

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  01:15:54  
quote:
Its as-if when I applied the update that it changed something in the db.
But it's not doing that, really. Is it possible that this problem existed before, but you've only just started noticing it?
Can you try opening the review page in FireFox and go to View -> Text Encoding and change that (presumably from Unicode to Western) and post a review, and see if you can reproduce this problem that way.

Vince

sparksm
Advanced Member

125 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  12:00:25  
Vince, I'm 100% sure this was not an issue before the update.

I'm much less concerned about the reviews than I am with the email. The reviews I have gone in and manually fixed each one, and moving forward I don't feel will be an issue.

Can we please address the email issue first, because this is still an ongoing issue that I have not been able to fix. While the reviews were a minor annoyance, in hindsight I should not have mentioned it because the main ongoing problem is with the emails.

sparksm
Advanced Member

125 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  15:07:18  
Any suggestions at all on the email issue?

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  04:36:23  
Hi Sparksm
Fixing a problem like this really does depend on being able to recreate it. I did mention reviews here...
quote:
Can you try opening the review page in FireFox and go to View -> Text Encoding and change that (presumably from Unicode to Western) and post a review, and see if you can reproduce this problem that way.
But the same is true of the email problem. If there is a way to recreate it I can look into what can be done to improve the situation. But for instance there is also an add on for Chrome...
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/set-character-encoding/bpojelgakakmcfmjfilgdlmhefphglae?hl=en
At the end of the day, you page is open to the world and if someone really wants to enter garbage data then they can probably find a way. I really can't think of anything in the updater that has changed in this area recently.
Apart from trying to recreate this, can you let me know how many emails this is affecting and what kind of percentage this is of the total. And, have you checked the browser user agent for the orders that these emails come from? You can see the user agent on the admin orders page but you need to add the parameter...
captureuseragent=TRUE

Vince

sparksm
Advanced Member

125 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  10:42:50  
Vince, the email issue is 100% repeatable. If you type in any character with an accent on it such as á or ü into any of the checkout fields then it will convert that to á or ü.

I was just able to replicate it myself by typing in those characters. You're welcome to use my checkout, then I'll approve the order and send over an order confirmation.

As far as how many this affects, it's an issue for 100% of the customers that type in anything but the usual english letters. We have a fair bit of hispanic customers, and many of them have accented letters.

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  12:41:33  
Ok, I got the idea that it was just something that happened on rare occasions and normally accented characters were ok. In that case, can you send the site FTP login to my email. vince AT ecommercetemplates DOT com

Vince

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  02:46:17  
Hi Sparksm
Sorry it took a while to get going on this but I managed to reproduce on a test server here and the way to fix this is to add these two lines to your includes.asp file, near the top...

Response.Charset="utf-8"
Response.Codepage=65001

Can you try that and let me know how it goes?

Vince

sparksm
Advanced Member

125 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  11:58:20  
On the one test order I just did right now, it appears to be fixed with those new added lines.

I'll monitor the orders / reviews and see if I have any issues moving forward and report back later.

Any insight as to why this was going on? Will there be a patch for it later or should I keep those lines in the includes file from now on?

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  01:08:56  
Hi there
I'll investigate more when I get a chance and let you know. But for now I think those parameters are just fine there.

Vince

« Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000