Author « Topic »  

matheny00
Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
633 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  08:30:37  
I just checked my site on w3 validator and have 70+ errors or warnings how does a sit get so messed up. I think most of these errors are created when a product is added. here is the link any advise would be great thanks. https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lazermodels.com%2FHuey-Helicopter+

Craig Matheny
LazerMmodels.com

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10245 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  08:43:06  
Hi Craig, do this.
Run some of your favorite websites, where you thing they work great, through the same validator.
You might be shocked at the results.
I would focus on the errors and see what they actually are.
Most browsers are a bit forgiving in the way they handle html errors. Often ignoring an extra closing tag where there is no opening tag, for example. So your site may look, and work ok for now, but in the future, maybe not..

Some things you might see are newer ways of doing things, and you should bring the site up to date. Like <font size="3" color="red">This is some text!</font> The font tag there is not valid for HTML5. This should be handled with css now.

In the end, it's good you are looking at this, and try not to panic, but rather understand what the errors are and the importance of fixing each.
That's my best advice, and now I'm off to check my website - it's been a while, and I probably have more errors than you...

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1177 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  10:12:09  
I was running a new version of a site through w3.org validator this morning and corrected a few minor hiccups. As Dave says, some big sites out there have a lot 'wrong' with their sites.

Running ebay.com returns 379 warnings and errors, the ebay.co.uk returns 356 while paypal.com returns 23 including 1 fatal error. This website checking malarkey is never ending as it's such a dynamic business!

Use a methodology for correcting stuff. If there are any fatal errors then sort those first. Then concentrate on the errors then move on to the warnings.

Steve
Manchester, UK.

Edited by - 1818charlie on 09/26/2019 10:13:12

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  19:00:22  
Hi Craig, the post here is a bit old but some of the information is still valid https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63833 If I get a chance I may update that to reflect html5 doctype.

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

matheny00
Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
633 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  10:05:16  
Dave and all thanks but got a question if we are updating our site on a regular basis should not all the simple items like font tags and other tags that html5 does not recognize have been removed moved during an update?

Craig Matheny
LazerMmodels.com

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1177 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  10:20:28  
Hi Craig

I understand that if the font tags and the like which are showing in the files not contained in the updater then the answer would be no. I would imagine that any files with old code which form the vsadmin files have been dealt with a good while back.

As usual, the man to know exactly is Vince

Typical files updated in the last 7.1.4 php updater are

vsadmin\inc\inccart.php
vsadmin\inc\incclientlogin.php
vsadmin\inc\incdiscounts.php
vsadmin\inc\incdologin.php
vsadmin\inc\incfunctions.php
vsadmin\inc\incloginfunctions.php
vsadmin\inc\incmain.php
vsadmin\inc\incorders.php
vsadmin\inc\incproddetail.php
vsadmin\inc\uspsshipping.php
vsadmin\ajaxservice.php

Steve
Manchester, UK.

Edited by - 1818charlie on 09/27/2019 10:21:36

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10245 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  10:23:08  
Hi Craig, I'm pretty sure these errors will be in your design, or product descriptions.
Keep in mind that you are in control of your design, and the shopping cart updates do not alter that.
The developers of ect are quite meticulous with coding and keeping with standards, and if there is something in the code not validating, I'm sure it would be addressed if it's a genuine issue.

If you are unsure about one of your specif errors, post it up so we can take a look.

Edited by - dbdave on 09/27/2019 10:24:11

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  12:12:36  
Hi Craig, for the home page the validator shows this - Line 10, Column 15: there is no attribute "charset" so its complaining about the utf-8 <meta charset="UTF-8"/> The reason its complaining is the doctype does not match the charset if you change the doctype that will fix this one and the error count may decrease even more.

Page has
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><!-- #BeginTemplate "/Templates/main.dwt" --><!-- DW6 -->
<head>

Use the following doctype and that will match the charset.

<!DOCTYPE html>

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  18:32:16  
Watching this thread as I get lots of errors as well. Some are mine, some seem to be older code, some..who knows. But - in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really seem to matter and I just ignore them as the website seems to work quite well.
When I look at other *very large* competitors - they have even more errors than mine. Not trying to justify my site but just an observation.

BUT there is one website -- when I check that website - all I get a "405 Method not allowed". So they can block error checks?
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000