Charges Declined on Particular Product
Author « Topic »  

Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/08/2019 :  15:17:58  
I am hoping someone can shed just a hint of light on this issue for me. I have been in business for 20 years, and have never seen anything remotely like this.

I added a new product to my website. I received a few sales almost immediately, so I added the product to my PPC campaigns. I then immediately began receiving sales from the ppc ads.

HOWEVER. Every single sale that I received for this one particular product has been declined by the card issuers bank.

I thought it may have something to with my security settings in my credit card processing account. I have talked with several people at my card processor and I am completely satisfied that there is nothing nothing on my end that is prompting these declines.

Within the past 3 days, I have received 13 credit card declines for this one particular product. Each sale was from a different customer, each in a different state and each using a different card of course. The price of the product is $444.72, so that is $5781 in lost sales! I am desperately trying to get this figured out so that I can start getting these sales.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2019 :  20:37:04  
It's my understanding that the card issuing bank would not know the specific product being purchased.
Merchants are assigned a classification for the type of products or service they sell.

If the customer places the order successfully at your website, isn't the transaction approved at that time?
How are customers placing orders without authorizing the transaction at that time?

David

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2019 :  23:04:47  
quote:
The price of the product is $444.72
Is this above the average cost of products on your store? As Dave says, the card company are not going to see specifics of a product, apart from the amount being charged.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  04:01:31  
dbdave,

Thanks for your reply. On average I receive approximately 45-65 sales per week. Since 1/1/2019 I have only had approximately 10 sales declined by the card issuers bank. It is just this product that is prompting the banks to decline the purchase. This product falls into my product line with my processor, which gives me quite a large margin. I have numerous similar products that sell regularly.

Vince,

I hesitate to say that I have an average sale total on any given order, or even a day's total because the prices of my products vary from .15 cents to $25k+. However this size sale ($444) is not out of the ordinary.

There is something about this particular product that the banks do not either like or recognize. The name of the product is "...Wireless Brake Control". Perhaps the name of the product is an issue (i.e.-wireless)..? Maybe this throws up some sort of security flag.

The issue isn't going to make me or break me. However it is mind boggling, and very unfortunate. I will keep investigating until I can get it. I sure would like to get these sales.

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  06:29:52  
Most payment providers can let you know why a charge was declined such as address mismatch, ccv mismatch, fraud bot, IP from known I would try sending one the abandon cart email and if its returned then you know it was fraud. ECT has info here on the subject https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/fraud.asp

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7622 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  07:27:29  
quote:
HOWEVER. Every single sale that I received for this one particular product has been declined by the card issuers bank.

Have you tried purchasing it yourself?

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  07:48:01  
Can you let us know how you process transactions?

quote:
If the customer places the order successfully at your website, isn't the transaction approved at that time?
How are customers placing orders without authorizing the transaction at that time?

Aren't the transactions authorized when the order is placed?

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  09:13:21  
I am using Stripe. I've talked with them about this issue several times. Each transaction for this product is coming back as "do_not_honor," which is a very general message and covers a wide array of reasons for a decline as you probably know. One reason the bank would decline with a do_not_honor message is suspicion of fraud, or high risk. I believe this product is creating an automatic decline for high risk or suspicion of fraud (just my prognosis), but I just don't know why. It is just extremely odd, I'm not sure who else I can ask. Maybe Visa, or MasterCard I suppose.

I haven't tried to order it myself Phil, but I suppose I could try that.

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  14:18:49  
Try changing the price from $444.00 to something like $443.99 or $444.50. This may sound weird, but maybe it does not like all the 4's.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  14:56:31  
Always worth a go . . . but if it were all the 6's then that would certainly be my bet.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  17:23:02  
Marshall,

I was thinking the same thing, I changed the price last night. Maybe the price was throwing up a red flag. I turned the ppc ad off last night and forgot to turn it back on this morning. I was just losing money by advertising for it. I will give it a go tomorrow though, and let you know if anything changes.

Thx!

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  17:44:38  
Curiosity.

"Angel Number 444 and its Meaning. ... Angel number 444 vibrates the message of responsibility and practicality, as well as honesty and wisdom. It encourages you to work harmoniously and intently to reach your goals and turn your dreams into reality."

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

USA
972 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  11:24:00  
I meant to update this a few weeks ago. I lowered the price of the product by one dollar, and haven't received a declined sale since.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Vince
Administrator

42466 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  15:17:55  
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000