Royal Mail Tracking - how to set up?
Author « Topic »  

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  05:23:25  
Hi,

I am trying to set up Royal Mail tracking. The majority of items would be sent by Royal Mail but occasionally other carriers would be used. I read that ECT picks up the format of the tracking number, and will direct to the correct carrier. I would like to set Royal Mail as the default carrier and read here https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/phphelp/ecommplus/parameters.asp#shiptracking but RM does not seem to be an option. How do I add it please?

In the order admin, shipping section, there is a dropdown labelled 'shipping method' but it just contains various ones like UPS, which I have not set up. How do I edit these please? I need to add Royal Mail, and set it as default.

I would like a link in the customers 'order shipped' email, to link to the carrier tracking page. I tried putting a link to mystore/tracking.php?trackno=ZW924750388GB (sample id in correct format) but the page says 'please select your shipping carrier'.

Any advice on how to set this up please? I don't really mind if the link is the internal store one or direct to the carrier's tracking page, as long as it works!

Many thanks
Ellen

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  03:40:13  
Hi Ellen
Well it seems support hadn't been added to the tracking page for Royal Mail so I've done that now and added the changes to the v7.2 updater. You need the new
vsadmin/inc/inctracking.php
css/ectcart.css
images/royalmaillogo.png
Because the Royal Mail do not provide online rates and therefore what we do is implement the rates using Weight Based Shipping. To do this enable weight based shipping as usual, then go to the shipping methods admin page and you will see a button there to setup Royal Mail rates.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  04:16:11  
Hi Vince, that's fantastic just what I needed, working perfectly now thank you for great support!

Just one thing I'm not sure of. When editing an order, next to where I put the tracking number, there is a dropdown labelled 'shipping method'. I would like to add Royal Mail to this, and set it as default. Is that possible please? If it makes any difference, I have set up weight based shipping with a simplified version of RM rates, rather than using the button to generate the rates via ECT.

Ellen

Edited by - EllenD on 03/27/2020 04:17:48

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  05:06:31  
Hi Ellen
In that dropdown you should have "Weight Based Shipping" no? That is what you would use for Royal Mail rates.

Vince

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  05:34:07  
Hi Vince

No, this is what I have in the dropdown. It is the one when editing the order to add the tracking number

Oops not sure my image worked, it's at https://imgur.com/a/m33syfN

Can I edit these entries and set a default? I looked here https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/phphelp/ecommplus/parameters.asp#shiptracking but RM does not seem to be an option

Thanks very much for your help
Ellen

Edited by - EllenD on 03/27/2020 05:36:54

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  06:50:23  
In that case, try adding this to your vsadmin/includes.php file...
$yyOther='Royal Mail';
Normally weight or price based shipping comes up as "Other".

Vince

EllenD
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  10:43:07  
Hi Vince,

That worked, thank you. However just to be really difficult (sorry!) I would sometimes want 'Other' as would sometimes use another carrier such as DPD or Hermes, which are not in the dropdown. Any suggestion for that please? Could we repurpose one of the others which I would never use, like Australia Post?

I would have thought that the list of shipping methods in Shipping Admin -> Shipping Methods would tie up with the dropdown of shipping methods in the order admin screen (as per my screenshot image) but it doesn't seem to as far as I can tell.

Thanks
Ellen

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  03:44:44  
Hi Ellen
"Other" is there for weight or price based shipping, and it's called Other as that could be any shipping carrier of your choice really. But the thing is, you can only set up one set of Weight or Price Based rates, so there is no way really to have more than one. An online rate carrier like Australia Post would always be Australia Post rates as it points to the Australia Post server.

Vince

« Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000