Author « Topic »  

markaricnewsom
Advanced Member

USA
223 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/25/2020 :  13:04:14  
I cringe every time I have to update Wordpress on my ECT website. Every time I try to do it, it breaks the whole site. Then, I have to scramble to figure out what got overwritten in the process. Is there a simple, step-by-step tutorial on how to update Wordpress without jeopardizing the whole thing? I think the last couple of times I got so frustrated, I paid the folks at ECT to do it for me. All of my other non-ECT sites are a piece of cake to update. Why does this have to be so convoluted? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mark Newsom
Web Consultant
P.O. Box 852
Kimberling City, MO 65686

Vince
Administrator

42460 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2020 :  13:30:02  
Hi Mark
We completely rewrote the WordPress templates because of this and now they are simple to update as they are WordPress child themes, and you can choose from the most popular WordPress themes and so on. But unfortunately there isn't a simple upgrade path from the old to the new type. I can send you new versions free of whatever you like of the new wordpress templates if you want to change over if that helps though.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

markaricnewsom
Advanced Member

USA
223 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/26/2020 :  07:06:33  
Vince, I am currently using Divi as the theme. In fact, I use Divi exclusively. If I use one of your Wordpress themes and then switch to Divi with that work?

Mark Newsom
Web Consultant
P.O. Box 852

Vince
Administrator

42460 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2020 :  07:53:02  
Hi Mark
The way things work is that we can create child themes for these wordpress themes so you would have the cart as the main site within the Divi theme. When you update you update the parent theme so that doesn't affect the ECT child. I haven't created a child theme however yet for Divi and as it's a paid theme, are you able to send it to me just so I can use it to test the child theme?

Vince

markaricnewsom
Advanced Member

USA
223 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/27/2020 :  04:58:04  
HELP!

The website is now broken. No products are showing up and all I did was update a few plugins. The website is https://longcreekherbs.com. Please let me know what to do. The site has been down for over 24 hours.

Mark Newsom
Web Consultant
P.O. Box 852

Vince
Administrator

42460 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2020 :  05:01:32  
Hi Mark
Can you send the site FTP login details to my email (vince AT ecommercetemplates DOT com) and I'll take a look. Please let me know also what plugins you updated.

Vince

markaricnewsom
Advanced Member

USA
223 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/27/2020 :  06:00:27  
I performed a restore to last Sunday, but still need serious help with this. Please let me know if someone will be available soon to assist with fixing the site before Monday.

Mark Newsom
Web Consultant
P.O. Box 852

Vince
Administrator

42460 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2020 :  09:20:33  
Hi Mark
I started to have a look at this but it seems the site is working so I guess you have already performed the restore. But given what we were saying earlier about using Divi, would that not be the way to go instead of trying to update as is now?

Vince

markaricnewsom
Advanced Member

USA
223 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 06/27/2020 :  09:47:30  
Vince:

I had to restore it to the only backup I had, which was last Sunday. However, if you log into Wordpress, most of the plugins need to be updated. That's what got me into trouble to begin with. I thought I would be safe updating the plugins and leaving Wordpress at its current release until I was able to get from you the things I need to move forward. To answer your question, yes, I would prefer using Divi. What is the next step? I can build the Divi site out in a staging area if that would be easier.

.mark

Mark Newsom
Web Consultant
P.O. Box 852

Vince
Administrator

42460 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2020 :  07:01:02  
Hi Mark
The next step is for me to create an ECT Child Theme for Divi to make sure it's possible and I've been working on that this morning. It's starting to look pretty good and I'll let you know once I have more results.

Vince

Vince
Administrator

42460 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2020 :  10:48:46  
Hi Mark
The Divi Child Theme is ready and I've sent you a private message with a preview of how it looks.

Vince

Vince
Administrator

42460 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2020 :  13:43:22  
Hi Mark
The Child Themes download is here...
https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/free_downloads.asp#wordpress

Assuming you are updating the old ECT Wordpress site, you would need...
wp-ect-header.php
wp-content/themes/Divi-child
wp-content/plugins/rct-widgets

That's pretty much all there is in the download apart from the other child themes.

There are more instructions here for setting up the Wordpress templates...
https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/wordpress/
...most important of which is number 4, setting the URL structure. The new system handles extensionless and SEO URL's, but as the URL structure you have at the moment uses regular URL's it would be a good idea to continue to use those.

You would have to remove the cart files such as...
cart.php
categories.php
products.php
thanks.php
...and so on as these are now all handled automatically by the Child Theme and if they are not deleted they'll stop the child theme from working properly.

Do make sure your cart code is pretty up to date as the support for the new system is quite recent.

A lot of the old ECT plugins are now no longer necessary and the new version of the ECT Widgets is included in the template so it's probably a good idea to disable the old ECT plugins until you know you need them and test they work. SEO for instance is included in the Customizer.

That's pretty much it but do make sure you have a backup of the database and site before starting.

Vince

LadyM
ECT Moderator

1690 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2020 :  16:43:06  
I am absolutely loving the new Wordpress cart. SO much is already done. No messing with layouts, just a few edits in includes then on to your own personal customization.

I'm a die-hard php person but this is truly something worth trying.
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000