WordPress for Ecommerce Templates
 Add products to home page
Author « Topic »  

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:12:17  
I'm using the WordPress version of ECT and my client would like to have the products - individual products, not just categories - on the home page, with the Quick Buy buttons.

I know I could simply put images of the products with links to their individual product pages, but I would like to be able to add them dynamically so that as new products are added, they are automatically added to the home page.

With the older version (on a different site that is no longer live) - I just used a widget that allowed me to add php code and then I dropped in the "category.php" in the space I wanted it to show up. But with the new system, I know that will not work.

Is this possible with the new WordPress version?

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:46:11  
I create a category, generally calling it "home" for the home page. I then select the products I want to appear and, under additional categories in the product admin, add home. I believe you can add the additional category using the "Section / Category" under the quick entry.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:57:28  
I'm still not sure exactly how I would get that to appear on the home page? Now that the pages are not specific .php pages - how would I place this on the home page?

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  11:57:36  
I am not familiar with the WordPress versions. All I know is this
<?php
$explicitid=132; // Change to your number
$catid=132; // Change to your number
?>
goes in the <head> after the ECT includes and this
<?php include "vsadmin/inc/inccproducts.php" ?>
goes where you want the products to appear since you are promoting products, not categories.

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10278 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  12:51:42  
I use the cross selling feature (recommended products) as outlined here - https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/home-page-display.asp

David

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  12:57:28  
The WordPress version works quite different than the other versions or even the older version of WordPress ECT.

Could someone who is familiar with the new version of WordPress ECT help me out here?

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  13:09:21  
I'm still confused. That page says: "ECT Wordpress users can install the Home Page Products Plugin to administer the display via the Wordpress admin."

I have the ECT WordPress widgets but there is nothing called "Home Page Products". The plugin file contained:

ect-crosssell-widget
ect-dynamicmenu-widget
ect-minicart-widget
ect-minilogin-widget
ect-recently-widget
ect-search-widget
ect-widgets

The only ECT widgets I have available in my WordPress admin are:

ECT Menu
ECT Minicart
ECT Minilogin
ECT Recently viewed products
ECT Search
ECT Side Filter

So even there I don't see anything regarding cross selling either.

Vince
Administrator

42472 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2022 :  01:50:23  
Hi JustDucky
Sorry about the confusion and I'll get the documentation updated. But the Home Page Products plugin is no longer used with the new system. Instead the Cross Sell shortcode can be used to add products to the home page as here...
https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/wordpress/wp-plugins.asp#crosssell

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2022 :  07:46:42  
Vince - thank you so much, that works perfectly!

Just a comment and suggestion, I don't mean this as a criticism, but I've found that the documentation for using the WordPress version (plugins, shortcodes, new changes for current versions) are really lacking. This is the second time in just a couple of weeks that I searched for answers on how to do something and once I got an answer, I was told that the documentation was being updated with that same information.

I can't be the only one using the WordPress version of this - it would be so helpful if the documentation on the site for how to set up the WP version, how to update from the old WP version to the new, how to use the plugins and shortcodes, etc. - could be as robust, helpful, and detailed as it is for the ASP and PHP versions.

Vince
Administrator

42472 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2022 :  11:11:02  
It's fair criticism JustDucky and I'll do what I can to get the WordPress documentation up to scratch. Sorry about the problems.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2023 :  11:20:56  
I know this is an older post, but I'm trying this Cross Sell option to place a couple of products on a home page. The problem is there are only two products and this makes the layout look out of place. Here is a link to the page (the products are at the bottom of the page).
https://www.jt5designs.com/
Thanks!

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2023 :  11:30:39  
Sorry...I spoke too soon. I found the css within the ect-widgets and was able to fix it!
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000