Technical
 ASP (Windows server) versions
 Product Details Showing Wrong Products
Author « Topic »  

DavidX
Ecommerce Template Expert

925 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2023 :  15:25:46  
I've just found an issue that I've not seen before. Our site sells comics and, to simplify, we generally have a high grade and a low grade copy of most issues. The product IDs are, of course, different but the Product Names are the same. So, if you search for "Fantastic Four 74" you'll see two issues in the search result. Today I noticed that, if I click on "Details" on the first of the two results I see the correct details but, If I click on the "Details" button for the second result, I see the details for the first result. I also notice that the URL in both cases is the same like, by pressing the "Details" button it's, in effect, doing a search that's keying off of the Product Name as opposed to the Product ID and it always defaults to the the first example listed.
I have noted that, looking at the same search results listed above, and skipping the details and clicking "Quick Buy", it does add the correct item to the cart.
How can I fix this? I'm on the latest version (7.5.8) and have been for quite some time although I just noticed this today and have had no customers bring anything up. I did have someone else check it on another computer and it replicated for them.

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10286 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2023 :  16:35:19  
Hi David, I expect you have a parameter set to use the product name for the URL and if so, each product will need to have a unique name.

https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/ecommplus/parameters.asp
quote:
Product name in dynamic product detail page URL

To use the product name for dynamic product detail page links instead of the product id. To do this add the parameter...

usepnamefordetaillinks=TRUE

When using this parameter you can set an optional replacement character for spaces. For instance if you set...

detlinkspacechar="-"

Then the product name "My Test Product" would result in "My-Test-Product"

When using this system, all product names must be unique or it will be impossible to view some of your products. Also, when using the optional space replacement character, you cannot then use that character in product names as again it will make it impossible to find those products in the database.

Check to see if you have that parameter set.

Thanks,
David

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1875 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2023 :  07:32:37  
In the product admin you will see on the left "has static url" For the second product with the same same, you could make that "Fantastic Four 74 Used" and leave the other one alone, or make the other one "Fantastic Four 74 New" or whatever works. But it is "has static url" NOT "has static page"

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000