Author « Topic »  

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  20:05:49  
OK -- I have both management and website pages using utf-8 for char set.

I have some foreign customers getting rejected on payments (Paypal Advanced) for unknown reasons.
I am suspecting it could be a character set issue:
1 -- I have name/address verification enabled at paypal.
2 -- the customers in question have accented or other non-US type characters.
and 3 -- Paypal is using ISO-8859-1 character set.
Is it possible that between my utf-8 character set and paypal's ISO-8859-1 character set that some of the characters are getting scrogged resulting in non-matching addresses or names?

What *is* the recommended character set that we should be using?
Should I be using the same character set as Paypal?

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  00:03:52  
Hi

This came up once before and I found it here https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108510 - you should be using utf-8 with PayPal

Do you know what characters are causing a problem and is this definitely the reason the orders are being declined?

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  20:09:45  
Issues seem to only hit customers with the accented characters. The characters display properly but all of them with accented characters appear to be rejected by paypal - reason as to why they were rejected, I don't remember. Of course, I can't find any of them today.
To test this, I have tried to get the customers to re-place the orders without accented characters. So far - no response.

Strange ...
When I looked at Paypal's pages yesterday, they all said "charset=ISO-8859-1" which is why asked about this.
When I look at them today, they all say utf-8. I'm set for using utf-8 so should be OK.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  00:23:11  
I'm pretty sure you're fine with utf-8, Paypal Advanced isn't used much these days and it's not easy to find information on it specifically but anything I did find PayPal related pointed towards utf-8.

Andy

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  20:22:52  
I am still having problems with this.
Accented characters from foreign customers are causing orders to be rejected. If I tell customer to use non-accented characters - the orders go through.

ASP website -- The characters display properly. On my customer page - encoding says UTF-8. On Paypal settings page that says which encoding to use (took forever to find that one) -- it also says UTF-8. In my includes file - I have adminencoding="utf-8" within include file.
Yet when I look at my admin login page - it says charset = iso-8859-1. I thought adminencoding was supposed to change that but apparently not.

So looking at source for login page:
<head>
<title>Control panel login</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<!-- Header assets -->
<% call adminassets() %>
</head>

Looking at source for logout page:
<head>
<title>EcommerceTemplates.com Admin Logout</title>
<!-- Header assets -->
<% call adminassets() %>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<%=adminencoding%>"/>
</head>

Before I try editing login page to match logout page -- should the login page supposed to be using the same code at this location? And since this is the admin login page, would this actually affect anything? I don't see iso-8859-1 showing up on any other page. Looking at the actual checkout page -- it says utf-8 as the character set.

Hints?

Edited by - ekrzycki on 10/24/2018 20:25:46

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  00:02:40  
Are the accented characters showing correctly in the thanks page, admin orders page and / or email confirmation?

I would view source in the admin products page for example to see what encoding is used in the admin - look at the page in your browser rather than viewing the code locally.

Is this just happening with PayPal Advanced orders - if so, you could add this to includes.asp

payprovextraparams22="<input type=""hidden"" name=""charset"" value=""UTF-8"" />"

and see if that helps.

Andy

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  18:52:18  
They have shown up properly as unauthorized orders on order admin page (don't know about thanks page or email confirmation as the orders never got that far). I sometimes get emails from customers stating an error occurred during checkout (I forgot the error). I tell them to get rid of accented characters and it works every time.

I did view the source -- right click and "view page source" to see the encoding. That's how I found Login to be ISO-8859-1.

It seems to only be with Paypal Advanced orders so I added that one liner to my includes file. I'll give it awhile and see what happens.

Thanks,
Ed

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  13:28:27  
I added:
payprovextraparams22="<input type=""hidden"" name=""charset"" value=""UTF-8"" />"

.. and, that didn't help.

Next customer - Jörg had an accented "o".
Checkout won't complete and errors out. But due to language barrier, I didn't get what the message to him was.
Checked the logs at Paypal - none of these ever make it into the log.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  04:37:49  
Can you right click in your admin orders page for example and check the charset as that really needs to be utf-8 too. Make sure you check that through your browser and if it's not utf-8 add this to includes.asp

adminencoding="utf-8"

Andy

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  19:20:24  
Yes -- right click within browser and view page source.
At admin login page (and only this page) - it is iso-8859-1 as mentioned on the 24th.
All other pages show it as utf-8:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
Went through admin pages and store pages and they're at utf-8, including admin orders and the final checkout page.

I already have these in my includes file:
and
adminencoding="utf-8"

Did a search through file to make sure they aren't in there twice.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  03:57:20  
Like I say everything Paypal says points to using utf-8 - I did find this so maybe worth checking your language settings in your PayPal account

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/admin/checkout-settings/#configure-language-encoding

Andy

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  19:36:47  
Yep -- found this a few months back. It has both settings at UTF-8.

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  01:12:57  
I can't think where to look, I'll contact our PayPal rep and see what they suggest.

Andy

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  11:53:06  
I have a note during address entry to not use accented characters but many are not regular english speaking customers.
So add in Håkon out of Oslo.

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  14:33:49  
Grasping at straws.
I use Paypal Advanced with the Paypal frame within checkout page. I cannot see an encoding type within their piece of code but see my "UTF-8" at top so I assume that is what it is using.

Awhile back - I revised language encoding on the paypal site from iso... something to UTF-8.
But what i didn't do is "save and publish" the frame that paypal creates after changing the encoding. I tried "save and publish" again to see if that makes a difference.
Hard part is getting somebody with an accented character in their name to try it.

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  14:50:46  
Hmmm...

If I put "å" anywhere in the address such as adding a second line in the address saying "Attn: å", I instantly get the same error upon hitting the "Checkout with paypal" button:

Sorry, there seemed to be an error !
If you need any help with your purchase, then please be sure to contact us.

According to customers, does same thing if using CC and not using the "Checkout with paypal".
If I take out the line "Attn: å" - I can get through the checkout phase.

Edited by - ekrzycki on 11/11/2018 14:54:54

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  16:28:03  
And -- looking at the admin page.
the "å" is showing up as the diamond-question mark character which indicates wrong encoding. Yet when I run "view page source" through the browser - I get the expected:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>

Seems as though there is a encoding value set 'somewhere' in the code that is throwing things off.

From my template:
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/Diode.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<!-- #BeginEditable "doctitle" -->
<title>Great Plains Electronics</title>
<!-- #EndEditable -->
<link href="../css/ectcart.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="../css/ectcart-GPE.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="../css/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0" />
</head>

And in includes.asp are these two:
adminencoding="utf-8"

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  00:16:32  
I received this from PayPal on Friday

"PayPal Payments Advanced" uses the Payflow Gateway . The PayPal settings available at www.paypal.com do not really affect any of the Payflow products.

The Payflow Gateway only supports customer input and API parameter values that are in regular ASCII (English language) characters. Payflow does not support extended ASCII characters or any other character sets other than regular ASCII at this time.

PayPal told me a while back that they were moving people away from PayPal Advanced so it might be a good idea to switch to PayPal Pro or Braintree for example.

Andy

ekrzycki
Advanced Member

USA
351 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  20:37:02  
So all this time, it appears that the problem is due to Paypal with poor encoding handling. I'm not surprised.

Hate to go to Paypal Pro, Braintree appears to be the logical choice...except that I use an ASP site with an MS SQL database. No custom code, "custom" pages only use a blank page with content regions.
So is it a herculean task to change from ASP to PHP?

Ed

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10276 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  23:48:45  
I believe you can use javascript to alert the user that those characters are not allowed.

https://bytefreaks.net/programming-2/javascript/javasript-remove-all-non-printable-and-all-non-ascii-characters-from-text

Edited by - dbdave on 11/12/2018 23:55:27

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7621 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  07:03:09  
quote:
So is it a herculean task to change from ASP to PHP?

Not necessarily, we do at least 2-3 a week without any issues. Just click on my name and send me an email if you're considering switching.

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000