Al Calder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  11:10:51  
Hello there

I have a problem with character sets on the product options OPTION NAME. My includes adminencoding is set to UTF-8 and I am upgrading from a fairly old php site to the latest php version 6.9 using Wordpress.

I use radio buttons and like the option names to line up eg

Size: Medium 19 to 21 mm
Medium Large 22 to 25 mm

To achieve that we have historically used   to space text out. In the above example there would be several  s between Medium and 19 to 21 mm.

Problem 1) When I change an existing option name via Admin and view the page source it comes out as "Medium   :     19 to 21mm". If I then go back and submit the admin options page without changing anything the  's disappear from a new view page source. Looking at the mysql database the   becomes utf-8 Â.

Problem 2) The website products and detail display are then fine but when added to the cart from the product detail, or Quick Buy, the smaller intermediary add to cart screen displays Medium         19 to 21 mm. The final checkout cart is displayed fine and the back end invoicing is OK but the order email has the  displayed.

To try this out if you go to [url]https://www.soulfulcrystals.co.uk/shop/Chiastolite-Tumblestone [/url] and chose the Size Medium option from the DETAILS page you can then see the  on the intermediary cart screen. To check the email, buy one, checkout and select the pay by cheque option and I will delete the order after a few hours.

Apologies if the above is confusing but it has certainly confused me.

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Best wishes

Al Calder

Al Calder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  11:15:06  
Hi

Sorry - my ticket hasn't displayed the way I intended

The blanks you can see are "n b s p ; s" and the example showing the options lining up haven't.

Sorry !

Al Calder

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  12:42:02  
Hi Al, can you let us know what you have in the vsadmin/includes for the character set.

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

Al Calder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  12:50:35  
Hello there

Thanks for coming back so quickly and as per top of page on my original ticket - adminencoding is set to UTF-8

Al

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  13:28:42  
Hi there are a couple of things to check, one being that the frontend pages and backend pages are using the same charset as outlined here https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109438 the other thing is the database collation which is also mentioned how to check in that post, can you take a look at the post and perform those checks and let us know.

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

Al Calder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  13:56:10  
Hi Sinbad,

Thanks for that, I have read that through but can't quite see how it can help. The database is currently set to latin1_swedish_cl and has been for the last 4 years. The includes.php character set is UTF-8 which again has been for 4 years. The site is set to UTF-8. I have tried changing the data base set to UTF-8 via the ect data base utility on a test system but that makes no difference. I have also tried setting everything to the latin set.

I have been trying various settings/data entry methods all day but the conclusion I am coming to is the data in respect of the "$ n b s p ;" appears to be handled slightly differently in the admin area (the update seems to be handled in two separate ways as per 1st ticket entry ie one with data changes and the other with no changes), the product display, the cart and the emails. My guess is it that it is fairly unusual for anyone to use the "n b s p ;" to help line up product option names.

Through my trial and error approach I have not as yet come up with any consistency between the different ect php processes. That's my difficulty, if I could find some then I could do something about it.

Best wishes

Al

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7622 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  05:38:47  
Hi Al,

I've had this issue a few times when migrating databases to newer versions and different servers on a later version of PHP. Altering the database collation won't make any difference.

The option data will have been submitted to the database when the charset was was more than likely ISO-8859-1, so now you're on UTF-8 the n b s p ; will be read differently. The space character is byte 0xA0 in ISO-8859-1; when encoded to UTF-8 it's something like 0xC2,0xA0 which is displaying as an "Â "

The first thing I would try is to modify an existing option and just click submit, then browse to the product and see if it fixes it.

If you want to zip up your database and email it to me I'll see what I can do.

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

Al Calder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  10:41:41  
Phil at Betta Pages has very kindly had a look at this on my behalf. He has uploaded my database to his own server running his own version of ECT 6.9.

He has seen the same problem completely independently ie not on my server, not using wordpress and not using my ECT setup. He has no immediate solution and is now away for a few days..

Obviously there is something is not quite right here but I need to get on so I will strip out the n b s p's and figure it out from there.

Best wishes

Al Calder
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000