Off topic, News and Updates
 EVSSL - Why you have wasted hard earned cash
Author « Topic »  

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1179 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  07:00:20  
Have you, or someone you know, recently bought an Extended Validation SSL certificate for your website? That's the SSL that has the address bar change to green to become more noticeable to website visitors & make your website more trustworthy. Well it doesn't anymore!!

If so, check your website in all the main browsers to see that your EV does not show in any of the latest editions of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Edge or Brave browsers.

Here's why it's been hard earned cash lobbed down the drain!
https://www.troyhunt.com/extended-validation-certificates-are-really-really-dead/

Am I really just an English ancient old cynic or are the CA's just milking as much as possible from honest businesses and individuals? Hmm!

Steve
Bolton, Lancashire, UK

Edited by - 1818charlie on 06/25/2020 19:21:10

Vince
Administrator

42455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  12:40:28  
Sorry to hear that, Steve and I hope you didn't get burned too badly for the EV cert.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1179 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  18:48:19  
Hi Vince

Fortunately I've not laid out any precious cash for an EV SSL I've always thought that those EV SSL are a money earning gimmick. My site uses Lets Encrypt.

One of my customers was complaining to me that the hosting is at fault of which I had a heck of a time convincing him that that was not the case. He's paid out £300 to the UK based GoDaddy owned host for the EV SSL and thinks that I should refund him. I've not had a hand in any of his website since prior to Xmas 2019. Needless to say £300 from my coffers isn't heading in his direction.

Steve
Bolton, Lancashire, UK

Edited by - 1818charlie on 06/25/2020 19:22:23
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000