United Kingdom
13 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  05:40:45  
Trying to upload product images from PC via Admin to New Product page
Get the error:

[red]ERROR! Could not write file.
Please check the file permissions on your image directory.
[/red]

Have set all permissions on the Product folder permissions on the server to ALL.
Still get the error.

I am not uploading duplicate file names.

Any suggestions?

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1179 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  06:20:05  
If the prodimages folder permissions are set to 0755, which is correct, then I would start by checking the actual filesize. Check with your host that the filesize isn't exceeding any file size limits too

Steve
Egerton Village, Bolton, UK

Edited by - 1818charlie on 03/19/2021 06:21:35

mudmolder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 03/23/2021 :  03:57:18  
Apologies for the delay. Thanks for the suggestion, Steve.

The ECT Help says in response to this error "check the chmod settings for your prodimages folder. These should be set to 777 which is All and can READ, WRITE & EXECUTE." I set these then uploaded a 31Kb file and still get the error. (It works fine when uploading the same 31Kb image to a new Category whose file setting is 644).

I have tried to change the settings back to your suggested (0)755 but the change is not accepted by the server and still shows 777 with a tick for ALL against all the 9 settings.

Any others ideas would be appreciated.
Peter

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65936 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2021 :  07:36:14  
Hi Peter, if your host offers cpanel with file manager can you try making the change there I've run into this when attempting to change permissions via ftp cpanel > file manager seems to work best. Depending on the host you maybe able to right click on the folder in the file manage to change the permissions, some host have a icon to the right of the file list that will allow you to change permissions. Let us know if that works for you.

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

mudmolder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 03/24/2021 :  11:50:41  
Thanks Sinbad.

Before following your advice I had used DW and FTP to upload the 3 images and they had shown fine. Today they were not displaying. I deleted the server versions and re-uploaded and they now display fine. No idea why.

I followed your suggestion using File Manager and changed the CHMOD to 0755 per 1818charlies' suggestion. (It was 774). But still get the error when uploading a new 99Kb image.

At least I can load them via ftp so its currently not critical but would be nice if product image uploads behaved correctly as category image uploads do.

Should I set the CHMOD to the same number as the categories.php file?

Peter

Vince
Administrator

42462 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2021 :  06:30:42  
Hi Peter
quote:
I followed your suggestion using File Manager and changed the CHMOD to 0755 per 1818charlies' suggestion. (It was 774).
A directory would typically have permissions of 755 while an image file or a PHP page would typically have 644. I'm not sure if you mean files or directories when you say the above. Could you let me know?

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

mudmolder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  08:16:51  
Thanks Vince

The error is caused when uploading an image via Product Admin (new product) to ECT/Prodimages which is a folder and set at 755.

Peter

mudmolder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  01:45:02  
Hi Vince,

I still have this issue with settings for the "prodimages" folder which is currently set to 755 and throws up an error when loading a new product image on Product Admin.
The 755 settings translate to:

Owner can: Read, Write, Execute
User Group can: Read and Execute
Everone can: Read and Execute

Your help appreciated.
Peter

Vince
Administrator

42462 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  03:07:34  
Hi Peter
The ability to upload images via the admin is provided as a convenience, but the best way to manage images is to use an FTP program like FileZilla. Would that be a possibility?

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

mudmolder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/08/2021 :  03:46:17  
Yes, FTP is how I have had to do it to bypass the issue. However that is not a process that the proprietor can do.

The upload of an image from prodimages to a new Category works perfectly well, but not when adding an image to a new Product.
Therefore it cannot be a prodimages folder setting issue, can it?

There has to be some difference in the image upload mechanism of the Category form and the image upload mechanism of the Product form.
Peter

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7619 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2021 :  04:12:38  
Hi Peter,
quote:
The upload of an image from prodimages to a new Category works perfectly well, but not when adding an image to a new Product.
Therefore it cannot be a prodimages folder setting issue, can it?

This seems very strange, but you'll find the category image is uploaded to the images directory and not the prodimages directory.

As a quick test can you try adding this line to your vsadmin/includes.php file and let us know if that works for you
$defaultprodimages = 'images/';

If that works try changing it to $defaultprodimages = 'prodimages/'; and test again

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

Edited by - Phil on 04/08/2021 04:16:33

mudmolder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 04/14/2021 :  04:52:34  
Thank you Vince.

I have tried those two lines in includes.php but still get the same error message with each when trying to assign an image (from images or prodimages)

Going back to basics. On the New Product page in the three image fields, am I:

(a) using them to import any image on my PC into the prodimages folder and assigning it to this new product? or
(b) only assigning an image already in the prodimages folder? or
(c) both?

Thanks
Peter

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7619 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2021 :  02:29:04  
quote:
Going back to basics. On the New Product page in the three image fields, am I:

You're uploading the image to the prodimages directory on the server and assigning it to the product as well

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000