Ratfink11
Advanced Member

USA
192 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  22:03:20  
Ok, Here is the thing.

The instructions in the manual and at the location http://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/checklist.asp
simply do not work. I can create and make a test.asp all day long and it wont locate any database anywhere especially if its located in another folder.

You cant run and or open the test.asp page if your database location isnt set correctly to begin with so what the point?

You will always get a 500 webpage error ALWAYS!!!

The examples given for a different folder for or as a guess are way to vague....

If you cant open or run the page from a web browser then how do you ever find the correct syntax? I know where the folder is for the database is but I cant figure out the path names or syntax to type into the db_conn_open.asp

I know this is a constant huge problem for everyone that is starting out and or setting up a new template... why is this always an issue and problem when it can be eliminated with a tiny bit clearer instructions?

Anyways... I'm sure with hours upon hours upon hours of time I don't have I will eventually figure it out...

Edited by - Ratfink11 on 09/02/2021 22:04:00

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7620 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2021 :  01:44:17  
Hi,
Sorry to hear you're having problems with this.
quote:
The instructions in the manual and at the location http://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/checklist.asp
simply do not work.

Are you referring to the database connection set up instructions here? - https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/databases.asp I've never had a problem using the test script

quote:
You cant run and or open the test.asp page if your database location isnt set correctly to begin with so what the point?

The script doesn't look for a database, all it does is map the path to the location where you have uploaded test.asp to.

quote:
You will always get a 500 webpage error ALWAYS!!!

Can you try uploading the file to root (this is where your default.asp file resides) then browse to http://yourdomain.com/test.asp

If that's successful you should see output similar to this - sDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\web\vsproducts.mdb;"

Just add the name of the folder the database resides in to that line so it looks like this

sDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\web\dbfoldername\vsproducts.mdb;"

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

Edited by - Phil on 09/03/2021 01:46:46

Ratfink11
Advanced Member

USA
192 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/03/2021 :  03:22:49  
As commented previously:
I cannot open ANY page on my website hosting platform. I get an error 500. It states in the logs that my database path is incorrect. So I cannot run any script pages to get the correct info to correct the path syntax.
  • the instructions in the manual and on the support link for the db_conn_open.asp correct syntax for the database location do not work. Instructions are extremely vague. If your database path is incorrect you get an error 500 page.

• If you cant get to your homepage, (default.asp) then it doesn't matter what script you try to run. You will still get a 500 page errors. This is why these instructions do not make sense.

• It says to run the script, how and where do you do this if your database cannot be found? do you open the page like any other from web browser? for example, https://companya.companyb.com/data/test.asp. I cant open the home page, or any other page that I have uploaded.
  • The proper way to handle the database is to place the database in a separate folder. In my case this folder is named data. It has the proper permissions, etc. setup. But if you cant open any pages from anywhere then you cant run any page scripts in order to get proper syntax to update the db_conn_open..asp
    [/*]

Edited by - Ratfink11 on 09/03/2021 03:51:01

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7620 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2021 :  03:28:10  
quote:
I cant open the home page, or any other page that I have uploaded.

Have you uploaded the files to the correct location on the server?
What's the url of the site please?

The test script shouldn't give a server error because there's no database connection script in it, all it does it map the location of the location of the file.

If you click on my name and send me FTP details I can take a quick look for you.

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

Edited by - Phil on 09/03/2021 05:18:21

Ratfink11
Advanced Member

USA
192 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 09/03/2021 :  07:39:19  
I managed to solve the issue.

Im hosting with Servelink.
They have a specific script or at least the one they recommend is listed below.
<%
DIM sDSN
sDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=d:\www\mywebsite.com\data\mynewdbname.mdb;"
%>

Also a separate folder for the database called DATA, it sits in the root folder.

Very important note with Servelink.

If you setup a subdomain within your main website hosting domain. I do for every website for testing purposes... the above script will be the same for ALL sub domains with exception of the name of the databases.

I made the mistake of adding the subdomain info in the script which messed things up.

anyways, this was my fix. thanks for the help and suggestions.

« Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000