Stripe Payments Being Taken Twice
Author « Topic »  

quadrant
Ecommerce Template Guru

United Kingdom
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2023 :  10:03:52  
Hi,

After a recent upgrade to v7.5.5 we have noticed some payments are being taken twice in our Stripe dashboard.
We of course refund these but it's minus the fee

Fortunately it doesn't happen often with 4 in the last 30 days but a couple of them have called us and have not been best pleased.

The ECT order ID for both is the the same in the Stripe dashboard and looking at the stats it would appear these are customers that have started making a payment with Stripe but then backed out and returned later to complete the payment. This is generally a few minutes later.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this?

Regards,
David

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2023 :  10:32:47  
Hi David
Have you been in contact with Stripe to see if they know why this is happening? After clicking the button it is
quote:
it would appear these are customers that have started making a payment with Stripe but then backed out
Here you see I'm not sure why the first attempt here is resulting in a payment as I'm sure they haven't entered their credit card details. I think if we get Stripe involved we can hopefully sort it out. Please copy me (vince AT ecommercetemplates DOT com) on any correspondence.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

quadrant
Ecommerce Template Guru

United Kingdom
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2023 :  06:18:05  
Hi Vince,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been in touch with Stripe and emailed you their reply.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,
David

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2023 :  01:05:07  
Just for those following this thread, but it seems this customer entered their card number twice, 10 minutes apart.

Vince

quadrant
Ecommerce Template Guru

United Kingdom
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2023 :  04:51:13  
Hi Vince,

I have been trying to replicate this as you suggested but without any luck.
Our customers though seem to be having more success with having payments taken twice unfortunately!

This is only a small number it's happening to with the latest last night.
Their order was for just under 90GBP and I can see the same order ID twice in the Stripe dashboard under different auth codes.

The second auth code is the one that appears in our ECT dashboard upon approval.
The first one is also marked as complete in Stripe with both amounts being taken from customers card.

I followed this up with Stripe as this is their reply:

quote:
Thanks for reaching out to Stripe Support. I understand the need to know why you're getting duplicate transactions from your clients, and I'd be glad to share more information about it.

Base on what we saw, this consumer made multiple payments because this consumer used a different checkout process or that, while awaiting confirmation, they hit "Pay" several than once.

I would also advise looking into what occurred on your end for this to happen. There are a few measures you can take to assist prevent double billing. For example, the Stripe API provides idempotency, which allows you to safely retry requests without mistakenly carrying out the same action again. You can retry the request with the same idempotency key, for instance, to ensure that only one charge is produced if a request to establish a charge fails due to a network connection error. Learn more about this by reading or browsing through the link below:

https://stripe.com/docs/api#idempotent_requests

I'm confident that the above information will address your concern. If you have additional questions feel free to use this email thread.

Is there anything we can do using the idempotency key that Stripe support suggest?

I totally realise that this is down to the behavior of the customer but when we have them on the phone complaining that 'your site took my money twice' it's hard to explain to them that it's down to them clicking a button twice.

I would be grateful for any help you can offer in resolving this.

Regards,
David

Vince
Administrator

42470 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2023 :  08:21:51  
Hi David
There is already code in the cart so that as soon as the payment button is clicked it becomes inactive. For the last one of these we looked at the payments were about 10 minutes apart so that's why it made me think they really had just paid twice, and which is really difficult to guard against. But if there is something else happening what we need to do is find out what caused it and how to repeat it as it's not just a case of double clicking the button which is disabled and we already use the idempotency key. Can you check again maybe the times of the payments? And have you talked to the customer to see what actions they performed on checkout?

Vince

quadrant
Ecommerce Template Guru

United Kingdom
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2023 :  02:50:33  
Hi Vince,

The times of the two payments were 14:55 and 14:57 but both from the same order on our site.

I have checked and there is only one order for this customer as I thought maybe there was another unauthorised one for example.

Looking into this further it seems they ended up on thanks.php twice for the same order but with different cs_live id's in Stripe.
Not sure if this was using browser back button or if they cancelled payment process on Stripe and were returned to thanks.php

Unfortunately it wasn't me who took the call so I am not sure what they did to result it two payments but what I will do is email you a csv of the customers visit history so you can see the page visits as this might offer up some clues.

They added to cart on 29th and came back on 30th to complete payment.

Regards,
David

quadrant
Ecommerce Template Guru

United Kingdom
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2023 :  12:09:43  
Hi Vince,

Just to let you know I have emailed you details of another order we had today with a duplicate in Stripe.

Regards,
David
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000