Remember me checkbox
Author « Topic »  

Dermontti
Advanced Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2020 :  09:17:16  
Hi Guys,

We're updating to 7.1.11 right now from an older version. I forget which update it was, but I think the cart stopped including the 'remember me' checkbox that remembers your address details, in favor of the 'create account' button, during the checkout process. I believe the rationale was something about that being more GDPR friendly.

We found during testing that the cart still remembers your address details by default, even without the checkbox. Is that right? Wasn't the point of removing the checkbox to force the cart not to remember customer details? Or was there another reason for that?

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7609 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2020 :  12:42:46  
Hi,
quote:
We found during testing that the cart still remembers your address details by default, even without the checkbox. Is that right?

Are you sure it's not the browser that is remembering your address details? What browser are you using and have you tried a different browser to test with?

* Database Migrations and Conversions*
* ASP to PHP Cart Conversions*

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10242 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2020 :  14:51:34  
Actually by the latest versions do automatically remember your details.
David

Dermontti
Advanced Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  07:01:01  
We've tested this on the demo site http://www.ectdemostore.co.uk/ in both Firefox and Edge. It looks like it's the site, not the browser's autofill. If I manually clear our cookies in the browser, the site stops remembering.

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10242 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  08:12:04  
Hi That's right.
I remembered this because I helped another user who enters orders for customers and wanted to stop that from remembering

https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112462

Thanks,
David

Edited by - dbdave on 12/16/2020 08:12:31

Vince
Administrator

42425 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  08:37:07  
quote:
Actually by the latest versions do automatically remember your details.
I'm with Dave on this one. It's so the customer doesn't have to re-enter the checkout details if they go through checkout again.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

Dermontti
Advanced Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  06:42:31  
We like that behavior of remembering too; we were just confused as to why the remember me checkbox was removed if the cart was going to keep remembering the details anyway. I had assumed the default behavior with no checkbox would be not remembering, guess we were wrong then!
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000